The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

thank you for sharing the great pics!!! Yes, America is still a great land with great small hometowns, and large ones too, filled with folks with small town hearts and values that still makes us the greatest nation on earth!!!

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

How much if a difference is there between a cockerel at 16-17 weeks as opposed to 20 weeks+? Like...As far as eating them goes, size, whatever else you can think of?

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I find if they're not bred as a meaty that they're much more rounded out and better eating at around 24 weeks.

4. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Chickadoodles: no prob. Im not sure if poppys are legal here tho. Isnt there where herion and opium come from?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  6. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    They are the California state flower, I bought them at the store. lol

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    When I thought I was moving to VA a while back, I posted all my cockerels on the local version of CL for free because I thought I would have to unload them faster than I would be able to butcher them. An older Mexican descent gentleman came and got all of them. I knew he was going to process them and it made me feel good to know that he appreciated fresh farm raised chicken as much as we do. Even though I was planning on feeding them to my family, it made me happy to know they were going to feed another family.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I do feel bad (most of the time) butchering the boys, but I'd rather they lead a happy (if short) life and then serve a greater purpose. And if I can, I'd rather they serve my purpose instead of another person.

It's always something around here. Just a few minutes ago BF was doing the dishes (he's so well trained) and noticed the biddies were acting really on guard. He gets the Walther and heads out onto the porch and notices a skunk in the chicken run going after the birds. Couple of shots, and he hits it, but it runs off. He goes and gets his shoes and goes out after it (despite the fact that it's a predator, it shouldn't suffer) and I went out too to help. It's pouring. He trekked through the poison ivy in shorts. The coop and run smell to nauseating levels. We didn't end up finding it, unfortunately. I have to say I'm glad it's raining and not super humid and hot because the smell would be so much worse.

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]

Happy Fourth of July everyone! Wisher what you said earlier about this day was elegant, eloquent, and gets a resounding "HEAR HEAR" from me. Awesome heartfelt sentiments! [​IMG]
    DH and I went on a small trip to a beautiful garden that is about an hour away. They have about 55 acres and have set up all kinds of different kinds of gardens. Beautiful spot. Cynthia, I know you have heard of Thanksgiving Point. Here are a few from our trip today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BTW the traditional corn on the cob and stakes from the BBQ tasted wonderful today. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Absolutely beautiful pics! Happy fourth [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by