The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Man, I've been away for a few weeks, first a couple of weeks spent going to get my kiddo (we camped in a state park in Lake Charles, LA for a couple of nights, both of our first time in LA, beautiful park, great time! My BF fished off of the CameronJetty Fishing Pier. We saw a ton of dolphins, he caught quite a few catfish, but no red fish, and I saw an apparently rare flamingo fly by. Then we picked up the youngun in TX.) We had a good time playing board games, video games and watching good movies he hasn't seen yet. Also went to the BFs parents place on the river and to the McWane Center. Then he went to his grandmother's, and myself, the BF, our 3 roommates and, by the end of the trip, six other people ask camped at one of the most beautiful places that I can get to quickly! An amazing state park in Port St. Joe, FL, we had to hike about a mile or mile and a half to the spot where we all stayed in our tents and hammocks, but it was so worth it! There was a great store with liquor and groceries a few miles from the park, so we made daily trips to town. Definitely a luxurious camping trip, but it was so perfect! We hiked each day about a mile, or less, to the giant 80-100 ft tall sand dune lined beach, and also played in the bay right by our campsite. It was heaven! I took my BF to an incredible seafood place on his birthday, recommended by the local owner of our little sore that we frequented while there. The Indian Pass Trading post, you must try it! I had the delicious snow crab legs, we shared some great gumbo, and he had the most delicious stuff, crab stuffed shrimp! But the best part was definitely the beautiful scenery! Saw tons of stingrays, cool fish, a tiny starfish, a blowfish deflated, ospreys, our roommate caught a tiny shark, one guy saw a sea turtle in our campsite! Check it out!

[​IMG]
    This is my boyfriend coming back from fishing in the bay.

[​IMG]
    This is the walk up to our campsite.

[​IMG]
    And the view from the top of that hill at our campsite, at low tide.

[​IMG]
    Some of the huge sand dunes at sunset.

[​IMG]
    The beach

[​IMG]
    An 80-100ft tall sand dune (hard to tell how big it is since I'm standing on one myself)

[​IMG]
    Kayaking in for supplies

[​IMG]
    Our lovely group in the ocean

Plus on top of all that, I ordered a new batch of fuzzy butts that got in a week and a half before we went on the trip! I got 5 Easter egger girls, two boys and five of a "rare egg layer assortment" all girls. I'm very excited to definitely have ten girls out of this batch! I didn't do so well with the straight run last time :-( here are some of the cuties, (I'm pretty sure I have a golden campine, a polish, and a cochin. Not entirely sure on the other two assortments, possibly another Easter Egger, and maybe a blue orp? Maybe y'all can help me decide?) Here they are young:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]]
    This is Matilde, named after a famous flamenco dancer, pretty sure she's a polish, just not sure if the kind, maybe white crested black?

[​IMG]
    This is Greywing, maybe a blue orp?

[​IMG]
    Pretty sure she is a golden campine, her neck is more orange now.

[​IMG]
    Pretty sure she is a cochin, any guess? No name yet.

[​IMG]
    What do you think of this one? EE also? Maybe another I was looking at, can't remember now.

Loving the assortment and the new colors of my EEs! I have a few white and black and few white and grey, totally different from my orange ones!

I've missed you guys! I think I owe an explanation of my name too, huh? I've always had a thing for dragonflies, for as long as I can remember. I've used this as a screen name ever since I helped out at a church camp in the Sispey Wilderness and saw the most beautiful green dragonflies with black wings! That whole trip was quite the amazing religious experience for me and the dragonflies really stuck out to me, and I've used it ever since! 216 is my birthday, 2/16 :) of course, by now, I've leaned those were damselflies, lol! But I learned how to cook the meals a day for 150 people, saw some awesome native American religious set ups by a huge cave, still in use since there were just there for the summer solstice, and I had to opportunity to paint a huge mural for the camp to use, complete with a fake, but real feeling, brick wall. That was a great experience and I'll never forget it. I have a tiny bit of Cherokee in me and have always felt a deep connection to the native Americans, animals, plants, just nature in general, and I'm really good with directions and finding my way! Ok, was that long enough to make up for my absence? ;-)

-Meloni

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I know that Tumeric will cure dysentery.

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I worry about the chooks/dogs eating the dead mice. Certain poisons make them rush outside for breath (or something) so they don't die inside your walls stinkin' it all up.

4. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Dragonfly: welcome back. Nice beach pics. I have no idea what types of chicks those are but they are nice looking.

5. I agree with this whole heartedly. When we get sick such as catch cold we just suffer through. It builds antibodies. Also, for whatever reason people think that a fever is a bad thing... my Lord! A fever is nothing but the body fighting to make it too uncomfy for the germs that are invading. A fever, unless prolonged or too high for too long goes untreated in my house. Only once has one of my kids gone to the doctor for a fever or cold and that was when my son was a baby and his temperature was 104 through the night. That is the only time. Other than that, we need to let our bodies produce antibodies against whatever ails us.

A chicken has all kinds of bacteria in their bowels. More bad ones than good, unless you take action. If you give your chickens a good unsweetened plain yogurt with several strains of good bacteria on a semi regular basis, these good bacteria can keep the bad in check and even destroy them. When a chicken is stressed (for whatever reason) the bad bacteria can multiply and take over and eventually kill your bird. However, if you notice that it is not eating or barely eating, get some yogurt into it and you may be able to save it. If you start when they're young, they'll always love it! If they're past that stage, just stir it into whatever you feed them and feed it a little dry (not super wet). All it will take is for one to try it and then you'd best stand back out of the way.

I've saved many birds that looked a little off just by giving them yogurt. It doesn't take long, once they go off their feed, for them to be beyond help. Vigilance is best.

6. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    [​IMG] mmmmmm......gumbo

7. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thanks Bamadude! And I second that.....
    mmmmmmmmm gumbo!

8. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Its a super easy recipe. U bake the roux so its pretty easy. Even i can make it...

9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Hey Dragonfly great pics looks like y'all had alot of fun! Love your little chicks they are so cute. [​IMG]

10. Looks like a golden campine to me. My daughter used to raise them. But I'm afraid to tell you... SHE is a HE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by