The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh, I wouldn't mind being wait deep in an ocean somewhere right now. Pretty photo. :)

[​IMG]

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    So long as the sharks in the area were well fed.

3. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Songster

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  4. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Songster

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thank you! Yeah one of my roommates did catch a baby shark.....

5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Awesome!

And no 20ft waves! sometimes the Pacific Ocean(pacific means peaceful) is not so calm. A Lifeguard with 20 years on the job drowned in Southern CA this week rescuing a swimmer in 20ft waves. The Swimmer lived too.

6. She adores them! They have nice personalities and the hens are very talkative and sweet. Roosters are good too, temperament wise, I don't think she's had any that were overly aggressive in ten years of raising them. Some are more friendly than others, which is to be expected.

7. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Wisher has Campines. Maybe you can get some from her?

8. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Songster

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I'm ba-ack

I am just finished up a six week stay. It's been fantastic to spend real time with my wife and family.

All the clothes generous people from byc donated have been distributed to the orphans and needy. I took a total of about 12 cubic feet of clothes

I have done a lot in six weeks. We successfully performed AI on three gilts and I have three more set up for the procedure in eight days.

Our goats have all given birth and we ended up with 4 doelings from 4 kids. All 50% Nubian. I am now arranging a new buck for the next generation in our goat improvement program.

The most recent hatch saw good numbers of cream legbars, new Hampshire, both silver laced and white crested black polish as well as Breda fowl.

I placed an ad on the internet classifieds and was inundated with requests. I sold over a thousand dollars worth of birds and has to stop selling to keep birds to build by breeding stock. I need a good fifty RIR hens and thiry barred rocks and buff Orps just to handle the back yarders. I also had multiple enquiries for day old brown egg layers in orders of 500 to 1000 that I have to restructure for. It looks like I am going from a crazy idea of having a few eggs per day to eat to becoming a full blown hatchery.

Its the monsoon season and our roof has dissolved from the salt so we are in the middle of replacing it with plastic ribbed roofing. The project will take another week.

Our feed delivery is a ton every two weeks and we are mixing our own feeds manually. I designed a motorized over sized compost tumbler to handle 500lbs at a time. It will take a few weeks to be built.

My wife and kids have been great to be around. Being a full time dad is awesome and can't wait for my family together

I hope your July 4 was grand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Oz!!! So glad you're back, we missed you and your pictures.

I've got some pictures to share. Anyone notice anything out of place under my coop?

[​IMG]

No? How about from this angle?

[​IMG]

Remember that skunk BF shot Friday night? The one that we couldn't locate?

Yeah... remember how I told you how awful my chicken coop smelled?

I assure you all that there is a worse smell than fresh skunk... It is 4-day-old-not-so-fresh-maggoty-skunk-with-fur-falling-off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by