The Old Folks Home

Thanks for all the input everyone!
hugs.gif

Never tried the pepper flakes, worth a try! They already get VitaB+ every week or two.
As for crawly critters, they all got the "shake and bake" when I gave the coop a good oxine scrub down just a week or two prior to the stopping.
As for no other symptoms, I think I mentioned earlier that they had shown respiratory symptoms that I treated with VetRx that seemed to clear things up, then one hen layed 2 "misfires" in a row. Found another misfire from somebody? yesterday on the roost catchboard.

I'M SORRY! SOMETIMES I FORGET WHO DOES AND DOESN'T KNOW THAT I AM A CERTIFIED ORGANIC GROWER AND TRY TO KEEP MY ANIMALS ON THE SAME STANDARD.

They get fed Naturewise layer with Calfmanna to up the protein. I also give them other protein sources being careful to watch the calcium/D balance. (I know, but getting a good certified organic feed in our area just isn't possible
roll.png
)
Their only treats comprise of organic rolled oats, mealworms and kale. now an occasional snack of greens from the garden. I don't give my birds table scraps. Oh, I do cook them whole wheat pasta occasionally as a special treat. They love it!
They already get a probiotic blend designed especially for natural poultry folks (better than yogurt) once a week.
Please believe me I don't take giving anything non-organic lightly, just as any other organic grower. I HATE using Sevin when I have a heavy lice/mite infestation but nothing works better (yes, I know of DE, buy it by the 50 lb bags and use it for many things, but it does not work when you have a heavy infestation). I do use herbs in my nest boxes but again, no good when things get out of hand.
That said, I am sorry, oops. The "antibiotic" I was referring too is Oil of Oreganum. (oregano). A proven natural antibiotic and the only one approved for use in organic raised birds and is starting to be used by some commercial poultry growers as well. Difficult to get hold of in the proper purity in this country if not commercial but not impossible. I do not resort to the chemical attack approach unless the circumstances directly indicate there is no other choice but I will when my birds are at risk.

Hope this clears things up. Sorry for the confusion. Again, I really appreciate everyone's input and advice!!! Especially the red pepper. I had totally forgotten about their properties. Duh!!! The O of O seems to at least be getting their appetites back on track.
big_smile.png

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

ETA: Wow!!! 2 pages while I was typing!!! How am I to keep up with you young whippersnappers!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input everyone!  :hugs
Never tried the pepper flakes, worth a try!  They already get VitaB+ every week or two.  
As for crawly critters, they all got the "shake and bake" when I gave the coop a good oxine scrub down just a week or two prior to the stopping.
As for no other symptoms, I think I mentioned earlier that they had shown respiratory symptoms that I treated with VetRx that seemed to clear things up, then one hen layed 2 "misfires" in a row.  Found another misfire from somebody? yesterday on the roost catchboard.  

I'M SORRY!  SOMETIMES I FORGET WHO DOES AND DOESN'T KNOW THAT I AM A CERTIFIED ORGANIC GROWER AND TRY TO KEEP MY ANIMALS ON THE SAME STANDARD.

They get fed Naturewise layer with Calfmanna to up the protein.  I also give them other protein sources being careful to watch the calcium/D balance. (I know, but getting a good certified organic feed in our area just isn't possible :rolleyes:  )
Their only treats comprise of organic rolled oats, mealworms and kale.  now an occasional snack of greens from the garden. I don't give my birds table scraps.  Oh, I  do cook them whole wheat pasta occasionally as a special treat.  They love it!
They already get a probiotic blend designed especially for natural  poultry folks (better than yogurt) once a week. 
Please believe me I don't take giving anything non-organic lightly,  just as any other organic grower.  I HATE using Sevin when I have a heavy lice/mite infestation but nothing works better (yes, I know of DE, buy it by the 50 lb bags and use it for many things, but it does not work when you have a heavy infestation).  I do use herbs in my nest boxes but again, no good when things get out of hand.
That said, I am sorry, oops. The "antibiotic" I was referring too is Oil of Oreganum. (oregano).  A proven natural antibiotic and the only one approved for use in organic raised birds and is starting to be used by some commercial poultry growers as well.  Difficult to get hold of in the proper purity in this country if not commercial but not impossible.  I do not resort to the chemical attack approach unless the circumstances directly indicate there is no other choice but I will when my birds are at risk.

Hope this clears things up.  Sorry for the confusion.  Again, I really appreciate everyone's input and advice!!!  Especially the red pepper.  I had totally forgotten about their properties.  Duh!!! The O of O seems to at least be getting their appetites back on track. :D

ETA:  Wow!!!  2 pages while I was typing!!!  How am I to keep up with you young whippersnappers!!!
on the natural chicken keeping thread they are talking about using dish soap as a wormer?
Here you go!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eeping-thread-ots-welcome/32460#post_13780455

Last edited:
@dsqard

Our pig pens get pressure washed three times a day. Poop goes to compost area and gets sawdust over it.

The chicken runs get raked every day.

The grass has gone to seed with the onset of the wet season and I saw Dominic using a scythe to cut the stalks. I asked why isn't he using the gas powered weed whacker and be said that it's just as fast by hand.

Labor is not expensive but good workers are invaluable

hugs.gif

Never tried the pepper flakes, worth a try! They already get VitaB+ every week or two.
As for no other symptoms, I think I mentioned earlier that they had shown respiratory symptoms that I treated with VetRx that seemed to clear things up, then one hen layed 2 "misfires" in a row. Found another misfire from somebody? yesterday on the roost catchboard.

I'M SORRY! SOMETIMES I FORGET WHO DOES AND DOESN'T KNOW THAT I AM A CERTIFIED ORGANIC GROWER AND TRY TO KEEP MY ANIMALS ON THE SAME STANDARD.

They get fed Naturewise layer with Calfmanna to up the protein. I also give them other protein sources being careful to watch the calcium/D balance. (I know, but getting a good certified organic feed in our area just isn't possible
roll.png
)
Their only treats comprise of organic rolled oats, mealworms and kale. now an occasional snack of greens from the garden. I don't give my birds table scraps. Oh, I do cook them whole wheat pasta occasionally as a special treat. They love it!
They already get a probiotic blend designed especially for natural poultry folks (better than yogurt) once a week.
Please believe me I don't take giving anything non-organic lightly, just as any other organic grower. I HATE using Sevin when I have a heavy lice/mite infestation but nothing works better (yes, I know of DE, buy it by the 50 lb bags and use it for many things, but it does not work when you have a heavy infestation). I do use herbs in my nest boxes but again, no good when things get out of hand.
That said, I am sorry, oops. The "antibiotic" I was referring too is Oil of Oreganum. (oregano). A proven natural antibiotic and the only one approved for use in organic raised birds and is starting to be used by some commercial poultry growers as well. Difficult to get hold of in the proper purity in this country if not commercial but not impossible. I do not resort to the chemical attack approach unless the circumstances directly indicate there is no other choice but I will when my birds are at risk.

Hope this clears things up. Sorry for the confusion. Again, I really appreciate everyone's input and advice!!! Especially the red pepper. I had totally forgotten about their properties. Duh!!! The O of O seems to at least be getting their appetites back on track.
big_smile.png

ETA: Wow!!! 2 pages while I was typing!!! How am I to keep up with you young whippersnappers!!!

Funny that you mentioned oil of oregano. I ordered the Wild oregano from Greece. It's supposed to be the full strength instead of watered down with other oil like Puritans Pride. I also ordered piperine which is made from black pepper which allows your body to absorb the medication much better. One thing that oil of oregano will do is stop a migraine in it's tracks. My youngest DD has suffered for years. So I ordered 2 bottles. Coming from Greece delivery date 7-25 to 8-15. Oh well, worth the wait. (I hope).
big_smile.png

You could grow oregano and give them a sprig or two every day or let them pick at it as they need it. No, it's not as concentrated as the oil you mentioned but if they start to eat it when they first feel they need it, maybe you don't need something so strong?

on the natural chicken keeping thread they are talking about using dish soap as a wormer?
Here you go!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eeping-thread-ots-welcome/32460#post_13780455
I don't think there's anything natural at all about eating dish soap, not for me, not for my birds. Yuk!

Quote: I lurk that thread and saw that. Never heard of it. My first thought would be there is nothing "natural" about dish soap. The person who mentioned reading in an old book about grandma giving the dish water to the chickens, years ago kitchen soaps were all lye based and usually free of artificial colors or fragrance (think Fells Naptha). Guess I would need to see the research beyond anecdotal. Would be nice if it worked. Could make for some interesting chicken farts!!!
lau.gif
(sorry, couldn't resist).

Here you go!

Forgive my ignorance but how natural is a product that is 100% man made.

A chemical reaction between sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide with a nice coco or olive oil makes a great soap but its not natural.

OK all you organics out there, educate me because I don't get it.

hugs.gif

roll.png
)

big_smile.png

Southland Organics sells an Organic tonic type of thing called Big Old Bird.

It will help them to live and produce with the worms in their system. That is the price of going Organic.

Quote: Again, you guys are ahead of me!!! My thoughts exactly actually on the dish soap
wink.png

I do grow my own oregano, true greek strain actually. My fussy budgets won't touch it but don't mind the oil in their water. They do get dried oregano in their feed once a week but that's not strong enough to do more than help maintain their immune systems.

I have a full herb garden that I love. Even up here there are very few herbs I can't grow because of our acid soils. I even have wooly lambs ear that grows wild into huge plants all over the high ground of the property! Tomorrow I start my first harvest of garlic scapes, basils, thymes, oregano, parsley, sage, lavender and terragon. Some I freeze (usually the last harvest) but most I dehydrate. I am fortunate that I can run my large dehydrators out in my workshop so the smell doesn't drive you out of the house especially when I'm making garlic powder
ep.gif
)

LindaBB-you're right about it being cut. Mine is absolutely pure and some pretty strong stuff. Strongly labeled not for human consumption and of course can't be given even to birds without watering it down which is good because it's expensive but it's dosed out by the drop so a little goes a long way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom