The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Welcome back oz. Happy bday sourland and diva

2. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Indeed...it has even got me questioning my own pursuit of happiness...sigh! I am not sure how I am doing, eh? [​IMG]

OK...so we all do what we do and hope for inner peace. I completely GET THAT--warm fuzzy feeling of contentment. Very rewarding but well, uh, when I am pitching out poultry hovels...I like to have "out of body" experiences (the past few days were rather dusty, not really smelly...so so much nicer than when I get to the waterfowl pens [​IMG] ). I like to contemplate things...dilemmas, problems, puzzles and such. Usually a few genetics questions to ponder makes for good thoughts while I do WOmanual labours--thoughtfulness makes less the toils.

Not saying I am going down the right path here but thinking. <--dangerous...moi thinking....might wound self. [​IMG]

OK...who do I admire? I would admire a monk that spends their entire life pursuing enlightenment. I admire people that work hard to reach their dreams. I admire strong (smell ain't everything!) people that make good even thru adversities (get kicked but still manage to get back up and go back to fighting in the ring again). I admire happy people that are not on substances to get there. Hee hee...usually they go to the opposite side of the mental state (depression!) when not feeding their addictions...LMBO

I admire people that have found peace but something is starting to bother me about that whole pursuit. Finding peace, enlightenment, happy states of being....

Is that not simply & purely put, SELFISH? Who benefits from euphoria...the person feeling the feeling? Course the ones that ruly love one love to see you happy but the main character in the benefit is the one happy!

Sure someone happy and at peace is not harming but are they contributing to the greater good? Making their being here a plus (over a minus or just a zero of not good or bad). Is their existence benefitting any more than just themselves and their immediate personal space and contacts?

I go outside my comfort zone and test myself to see if I can make others happy, share the joy, learn new things, see if the things I have learned help, and push the limits in not only tolerances but boundaries too...how can you know the limits without pushing the rules to the edge of breaking?

I could stay hidden here in my sanctuary indefinitely...go out for provisions on occasion and sneak on back and lock up my gates being safe inside. Nobody would be any wiser, nobody would know any different nor would they likely care...and the killer part is that nobody would benefit from my existence past my immediate family of humans and critters. Is that not SELFISH?

When we stand there on our own personal Judgment Day...our Earthly existence over for then...is it enough to be at peace in giddy happiness or am I completely missing that to be at PEACE and HAPPY, you have to have contributed positively to the greater good to "be at peace & happiness?" Gone outside your comfort zone and met the struggles, did the challenges instead of hiding under a happy rock in utter oblivion--DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Not putting yourself out there to be hurt (not doing yourself harm is self preservation) is most logical but is it satisfying with any rewards?

My question probably makes about as much sense for an answer as to "why the sky is blue?" but I find that there are too many people out there that are leading nothingness lives...they go to work, they make like they play on the weekends, they do society good by being a diligent consumer and try to avoid any difficulties by rocking the boat. Rising up to a challenge is mortifying and to be avoided at all costs. Pain, suffering, taxing predicaments...better to give up than do what I figure humans were meant to do...meet the adversity and WIN! Do the Walkabout, the Spirit Quest...think of something uncomfortable as a test in itself that will make you and those around you...better people because you tried and maybe failed but you learned from that failure for the next time to be better. Your existence mattered more than indulgence IN your own personal peace, harmony, and happiness.

See, told you pitching poop for me was dangerous...full of lots of pitfalls and super silly ponderings... [​IMG]

Why pay? Do it yerself.

Fecal Floats are fun and easy to do....just don't mix up your samples up with the Iced Sweet Tea you are having! [​IMG]

I started doing my own back when I think they cost a mere $15 at the vets and I was taking one sample from the five dogs (figuring what one had, they would all have). Found whipworm in Makins this way. A Southern type dog worm that none of the dewormers up here usually prescribed would kill. Funny really but I figure someone pottied their dog up here while entered at the Rodeo...she went thru it and picked it up before our lovely white winters killed it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I did this one last August on the Swans when we imported the girls up from the Southern States
    The LAST thing I wanted to do was double dose a bird or deworm them for no reason. The two pens were clean and I happily introduced them to the two cobs (who I also tested then too) and the happy unions have never looked back PLUS we did not introduce a foreign parasite to the premises to infect others that reside here or give any that were here to the new additions.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm

AWESOME site and these are the instructions I used and at the bottom of the page are lovely graphic pics of the worms and the eggers you are looking to identify (goat ones at least!).

Now I use full blown CHEMICALS to deworm. I don't do DE or any thing like garlic and such. I want drugs because I want them bugs DEAD as door nails. No hassles and no fuss or muss.

If I was to use DE or other organic methods to deworm...I would be having to step up and do fecals a lot more often to make sure what methods I used were working and like you say Ron, you target your dewormer TO the worms present. No sense using the shot gun approach and blasting for everything when you may only have one kind of parasite...same can be said for vacs on ruminants and canines...you vac/treat for what you deem is a problem at your place.

BTW, my Gran use to make her own soap...got a cake of it here...cherish it but she made it with lye and well, I sure would not be ingesting that...not by my own hand. Course there IS a reason why we threaten those foul mouthed whippersnappers with a mouth washing of soap should they continue to swear! Hee hee...betting I would NOT be too popular in the hen house if I had them consuming any kind of soap!

They don't much like toe nail clipping day; froth at the beak day would not be popular for certain! [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

1 person likes this.
  3. I suppose betel nut is something that grows in the Philippines?

I get your drift. Dangerous... not only for you. Not so silly ponderings though... but very sobering ones and I cannot say with any level of conviction that I was glad to read it. I'm very happy (sort of) here in my own life. So now I have to consider... am I selfish? Maybe. Stepping outside my comfort zone is extremely uncomfortable for me... does that make me selfish? I don't know. Now you've got me pondering things I'd rather not ponder. Ignorance is bliss. Isn't that what they say? Putting myself out there to be hurt... I'd rather not, thank you. I've been hurt more than enough and I know that is not a good reason, its more of an excuse but it saves me a lot of pain. So, yes, I guess I'm selfish and now I realize that this is something that needs to be dealt with. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

The best influence you can have for those around you is to set a good example. Don't participate in gossip, make excuses for one another instead of accusations. There is so much more to personal salvation than just inner peace. I just don't think most people here are seeking that information, so it would be inappropriate for me to force it upon them. :)

5. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

@CanuckBock
    I love your musings! I don't have quite the opportunities I once did, for many reasons, but I find my "inner peace" when I kick myself out of my own box and out of my comfort zone to do things that can be a blessing to others. The furthest reach I made was to volunteer to do the home hospice care for a sweet older neighbor's wife. Long story but hubby and I had been helping them out for a couple years after he had a health emergency. Anyway, she literally passed in my arms then 2 years later the hardest came, doing the final care for my old friend. His passing was much more difficult and not nearly as peaceful. They never had children and he had no family in this country (he was from Sweden). We buried him and did the year of paperwork, auction, etc. it took to close his estate. What a mess. The international law is something else, fortunately, we shared the same attorney who is an amazing woman and my long time personal friend.

Thank you for the very clear info on how to do your own fecal float! I think I need to invest in a microscope. Any recommendations on the cheapest model that would work for this???

6. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I believe the true way to happiness is doing things out of your love of God. I care for my animals and I'm blessed with their companionship and company because I feel our relationship was made by God's will and making my animals happy, makes God happy (God willing) which in turn makes me happy.

I am to love each of you for the sake of God, and I try my best, but I'm not perfect!

I believe true happiness comes when we are no longer seeking it for ourselves, but seeking the love of God with our own love of God.

Okay, guys...hope that wasn't overbearing or anything. I pray for the wisdom to find the proper words, but I am fallible and often fall short.
    *blush*

1 person likes this.
  8. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Glad you push yourself and show us the way too. One can get complacent and I do worry that "is this the way?" Have we taken the path we were meant to do or is this plumb self-indulgent (pursuit of happiness) and just all about ME ME ME!

The goat fecal float link has a link I believe that suggests microscopes that are for students and run about $90...now how many fecal floats by a vet clinic before you own that scope? There is also a link or source I believe for slips and slides. I bought mine from a vet locally. They look at you weird but when I said "fecals for poultry" they GET it. I suspect if it was just dogs, then they would be all to do...but a flock of birds...I think the Vet Techs would be mortified to float THAT many poop samples...and bird poo...oh yes, not BIRD POO! Good thing we didn't STEP in any...

I sinfully was donate my microscopes...two of them. For years, I did genetic canine colour presentations twice a year for Bio 30 students when two of my dogs, Makins and HyBlade, were still alive. When they were redoing the whole school, I got given two of the old microscopes for my volunteering--they would have been tossed in the garbage (virtual antiques from maybe the 40's or 50's??...I think one is made in Japan and is so very kewl!) but the teacher chose to reserve up two good ones for me! I was shocked beyond reason and SO thrilled. I had come initially to the high school to view dog hair under magnification and to be given these..such kindness! But I guess, then again, I did teach over 500 students even though we did the whole thing for the fun of it. Missing a day of work each time and the fuel costs to go there and supplied most ALL the materials outta our own pockets. When you are having fun, you just don't care so much about compensation back on it, especially when I was told not a single student EVER failed the Biology exam we did the presentation to prepare them for--that was reward enough in itself.

Now the dog colour genetics deal, that was not outside my comfort zone. I loved doing it and the dogs had just a marvelous time. HyBlade, at the last presentation at the old school, even watered the teacher's potted plant for him. I was mortified because that was SO out of HyBlade's character completely (good boy who never did that sort of thing inside) but the teacher laughed and said he never really did like the plant either! Oh my...

[​IMG]
    Dogs in Class
    Makins on left, HyBlade on right - 2010 ​

Both dogs decided that they were there to act badly in public and embarrass me, not just HB...Makins would circle the classroom and anyone having or possessing a snack...she suddenly turned "pointer" on them and would hilariously BARK at them till she was given a sample (to make sure it was not poison, right?). She always was a verbal dog...such a piercing shrill split your ear drums sound. She always got her way..."Make her stop...it hurts so much!" I brought one collapsible wire kennel for them to retire into at the presentation and when Makins thought HyBlade had spent too much time in the crate...she's start barking to boot him back out since it was her turn to slink inside the "cave."

I am not sure if we are suppose to do good by others and enjoy it. Bwa ha ha...is that a sin? [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Isn't that why they say, "no good deed goes unpunished?"[​IMG]

10. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Help... people with straightjackets are chasing..me...those things are uncomfortable..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by