The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    FedCo's catalog is also really... interesting.

I always be sure to order something from them every year to ensure I continue to get a catalog. When it arrives (usually in the dead of winter) it is good for some cold, dark evening by the fireside reading.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/forms/sds36_cat_highres.pdf

An example:
    2512LY Olympia
    (38 days) F-1 hybrid. No more bad political jokes—our Senator Olympia could no longer stand the dysfunctional Congress and finally retired. For an almost fully functional spinach, consider her namesake
    that always stands as strong in November as Olympia did at the ballot box.
    An outstanding performer for the fall crop and even early winter but not as hardy as #2558 Winter Bloomsdale, Olympia grows fast, producing enormous yields of mostly smooth leaves up to 5x6" almost entirely lacking in oxalic acid taste, so her mild flavor goes down easily. But Olympia can’t stand the heat, and bolts quickly when planted in spring.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I know!

Is Wisher off site now too?

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I just saw this. I try to keep every one in line, but sometimes something slips by me. I don't know what prompted the warning, but "YALL BEHAVE!" or, if it was me, "I sincerely apologize." Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Cynthia I may make one for my chicken coop and see how they like it.... hahahhahha

I will check out the fedco site also thanks SCG I have been looking at the other sites as well. Thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bama I think some are afraid to respond to your posts because they might be considered "partners in crime." If everyone goes to BYC jail, this thread may be scrapped. We do a lot of "stealth" laughing tho.

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    This looks great!!! I have a storeroom that just a little too hot even with A/C for my new babies coming next week. Not insulated. This may work better than the youtube box fan and water cooler thingy. [​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Just a thought regarding the age issue and appropriate/inappropriate discussions - as this is the "old folks" thread it may be worth considering setting certain areas as restricted and then approving entry to those who are of age, etc -- it works on several other forums of which I am a member -- the permissions are able to be set by the admin on a member by member basis so that only those approved are able to view the content of those protected areas (some are due to adult/juvenile, some on length of membership/number of posts, etc as far as being eligible for the protected areas)

8. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    ChickenCanoe, any mink update?

Anyone have experience hatching goose eggs? Is there something different about hatching them compared to chicken and duck eggs?

Love the straightjacket pics, highly entertaining :)

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    yes, goose eggs take a lot of special care.

@chiqita was posting some information and I think someone on the California Northern thread was hatching some Goose eggs.

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    The best thing! We got rained on! Fianally. The last few days we've had some thunder and lightening, little rain, but it poured here this evening. Love it! A good hard rain.
    DiDi..did you guys get any rain?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by