The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    We have no Bambis here. Just Thumper and some slacker coyotes.

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Wow that's crazy for July!! When the hurricane came through last week about 300 miles north of here got snow. Insane.

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

4. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Glad you got one. I agree, there are probably more, best to remain vigilant. Thanks for the update. I thought of you the other day when someone was here looking at birds and looked out past the coop and said, "Oh, a mink!" Startled, I whipped my head around just in time to hear her say, "Oh, no, it's just a rabbit." Whew!
    Just wanted to add my congrats, I finished my BS two years ago. Gained me nothing at work, no boost nor promotion, but I did it.

Really like the idea of the baby monitor. DH has occasionally mused on how useful it would be to have cameras in the coops, but the finances do not allow at this time.

Just wanted to emphasize how dangerous heat is, and how quickly dehydration can affect judgment.
    I can so relate, I describe local storms as lifting their skirts to go around us :) We did get a great storm this past week though, 2" of rain in an hour - would have been much nicer to have had it stretched over several days, but such a relief nonetheless.

Wow. Quite the opposite here. The last two days our predicted highs have been low to mid 80s, we were at 92 at 10 this morning. Temperature predictions this year have been almost entirely miss, very few hits.

5. We hit 97 today and tomorrow and Monday, we're supposed to see 105 on both days! Ugh... I HATE SUMMER!

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Lacy, us folks over here on the west side of the states is going to do the opposite of what the vortex is doing to the East. We are going to hit 100 by Mon. 99 tomorrow. :/

7. getaclue

getaclue Flock Master

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    ds, CONGRATULATIONS!

cc, good for you, getting the rifle out of mothballs. A little practice, and you will probably be able to get rid of your varmit problems. .22 ammo is getting harder to find down here.

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    Gone camping
    Here in Alabama we are in the mid 90's for the high today but this next week the temps will be the upper 80's and low's in the 60's.

Here is a pic of our new pens so far. I decided I did not want the other set of pens. I was feeling to overwhelmed with all the chicken chores with all of these so far.
    We only have 4 of the 9 pens completed so far just to much to do and not enough time to do it all. lol

[​IMG]

And here are the baby turkey poults I have been so excited about.
    [​IMG]
    Bourbon Red and Std. Bronze

1 person likes this.
  9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Your turkeys look really friendly, all pushed up against the fence like that wanting to see Momma.

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    Gone camping
    Yes they love attention and treats. I try to handle all so they all get excited to see me. They are two months old I just put them in that pen last night and next to them are 3 month old Broad breasted turkey and the hens are cooing at the babies. It's so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by