The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    What was your record low?

It's already "hot and sticky" here (although I think Ron could give a good rebuttal that 71 isn't hot). I've got 2 more hive bodies ready to put on the hives so I'm about to go out and do an inspection before it gets much more gross. Still have to clean the chicken coop (haven't seen the guinea in 2 weeks so I'm guessing it's safe now). Guessing it's going to be a sweaty, nasty day full of dirty chores!

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Good morning friends.

What a wonderful day.

I hope you all have an excellent weekend.

Our roof in the Philippines is complete

The next typhoon is due this week. It should pass a few hundred km north of us but dump another foot or so of rain.

It will be fun to see how it holds up.

3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Wow! I cannot even fathom a foot of rain. That's more than we get all year!

That being said, it is our monsoon season in NM, which means that there's a promise but no guarantee of rain. The skies darken up nicely in the afternoon and we get thunder, but often the rain hits another part of the valley and state and we're just kind of the dry bridesmaid.

The apple crop is holding up nicely, though, and some are starting to get their flush of color. DH is looking forward to fresh cider..... Patience is a virtue, especially when waiting on fruit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Those apples look fantastic. We planted 3 apple trees this year and they're leafing out quite nicely. I really don't understand what I'm supposed to do with them, maintenance wise.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Find a pruning guide. It is important to prune them correctly when the tree is young.

6. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Apples are pretty low maintenance. I put feed stakes in the ground in the spring and make sure they get adequate water and just let them be. In January is when I do pruning (crossed branches, water sprouts). Remember when pruning that the fruit comes out on second year wood. Some folks spray for insects and fungus, but I like a more holistic apple and so buy trees that are resistant to blights and whatnot.

With young saplings the main danger, I've found, is rabbits! They LOVE tender apple bark, so twiglets get a coating of chicken wire until they get some proper bark on them. Wetched, wetched, wotten wabbits.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    *sniff* You don't wuv me. [​IMG]

But it's true; sometimes it's hard to decide whether Bambi or Thumper is the bigger nuisance to a gardener.

8. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I got this this morning in an email. Thought you guys would appreciate it.

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

CC, glad you got one of them. Is their social structure one that would cause them to vacate your place as a hunting ground?
    What about in those old west movies where they would hang dead bodies to the entrance to towns to show that they have a zero tolerance policy for thieves and murderers?

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't trust that policy to the safety of these rare birds. My wife has a customer that lives 3 miles from us and saw a mink chasing a rabbit in their yard - midday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by