The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    @ tara., I just love your comments and pictures. Everything comes to life. My set up is so small compared to yours. I can't even do pictures. But I have 27 birds on the ground and 33 in the incubator. Gonna be lively. [​IMG]

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    x2 The only chicken I've lost has been from a mink. My Fort Knox needed even more done. Now I'm ok.

3. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I thought of this a couple of days ago. When I can afford to get one, I will investigate how far they reach. How far is your chick monitor from the one in your house? Thanks.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I was walking past K-mart so stopped in and they had the 'Safety 1st' High-Def digital audio monitor with DECT 6.0 technology (whatever that means) on sale from $ 50 marked down to $ 35. It's supposed to have a 1,000 ft. signal range. I had a little trouble setting it up and it seemed to link up better if I had them closer together but now they're about 400' apart and the parent unit is inside a solid brick building picking up every sound. I mean several brick wyths thick where very little signal can pass through.
    Money was the primary reason I didn't get one a year ago. I wanted to put one in every coop.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This is the winter of my discontent, maybe.

Lots and lots to post on, and all I can remember is that I saw dead predators, and that filled my small heart with glee. Way to go, regardless of how many shots it took.

This has been an amazingly bad week for me - odoriferous and sodden.

Not sure when that polar vortex is supposed to hit - but we're predicted in the low 50's tonight... that's normal... and amazing sleeping weather.

6. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I will look for one next month because our Sneaky Predator got 2 of my chickens day before yesterday and we can't hear them when the air conditioner is on. Our coop is wood and I'd say not more than 150 feet from our house but my bedroom is in the back on the same side as the coop. If I get a monitor, we will hear anything that happens.

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

What a miserable day of postings. Sorry guys.

Its rice planting after the foot of rain last week.

[​IMG]

Putting kids to work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooling off after a hard days work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Hope next week is much better for you. That 50's degree night sounds soooo nice. It has been really hot most of the week...high humidity and upper 90's. It has been a little cooler today, with lower humidity and mid 80's. Think it is supposed to be in the upper 80's with lower humidity for the next few days, which will be nice for July. Can't wait for Fall!

9. OH How LOVELY and SO REFRESHING! It just started raining on this poor thirsty desert! What a blessing!

1 person likes this.
  10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is cooler than normal here but now rain. There may be rain up in the mountains though.

Back up to triple digits by Sunday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by