The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

time to start posting photos of my little buddy Aaron

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the recipe.

We made apple butter every autumn with the whole family and neighbors at the old homestead.
    It was a 2 day endeavor. I don't remember the numbers exactly so don't critique me. It seems like it was 30 bushels of apples and 50 lbs. of sugar.
    On Saturday, all the adults would sit around the harvest table with paring knives. I manned the hand crank peeler. By the end of the day all the apples were cut up by hand.
    Just before dawn on Sunday a big fire was built under the copper kettle. It was like this but much bigger.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Cop...401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8fc86f11
    I've never seen one like it since. I think one of my sisters has it.
    I still have the paddle to stir it. The paddle had to be manned constantly. If it wasn't stirred it would burn the copper ruining the kettle.
    By dusk we would have filled every crock and jar in the community with the most delicious treat and topped them off with wax.
    My aunt had the secret recipe and made everyone leave the house while she assembled the spices. They went into a bag and into the cauldron. As the apples boiled down we continued to add more.
    I remember the flavor so I think I can replicate the recipe. I ate apple butter bread several times a week for many months thereafter.

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Hi everyone!
    wow, I missed a lot, again! Let's see, someone's going to be a grandma [​IMG], someone had a very, very, hard road with a very happy ending (Oz) [​IMG] , someone had a problem with pumpkin bottoms [​IMG], everyone's doing apple stuff, including the chickens [​IMG] and we are all being "trolled" by a baby Canadian [​IMG]. Oh. and Alaskan is plotting out her stealth coop![​IMG]

does that cover it?????

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Couldn't agree more.

I'm done here.

5. aascvd01

aascvd01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    By Aaron do you mean me?

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That covers it but I thought it was HIS stealth coop.

7. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    our little oz is blossoming into an outlaw. I love it

8. aascvd01

aascvd01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Is the baby canadian Aronia?

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    yep

10. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    LOL. Stealth coop... I just sort of had a mental picture of a shed painted in camouflage.

Do the roosters wear silencers?

Or, I suppose, you could just add it to a row of coops and hope somebody doesn't count very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by