The Old Folks Home

dude, I actually have family in both Dothan, and Slocomb. I wouldn't mind moving up that way, but DH has 4 more years until he can retire, so we have to stay here for now.

I'm not liking the prices on land parcels at this time. Blank property, no well, no septic, no electric run to the property, and not cleared, is going for about $1,200.00 - $2,200.00 per acre for 5 - 10 acres. The places with homes that are in move-in condition with either a barn, or horse stalls on them, fenced, and cross fenced, cost about the same, or less than blank land.

Chickens finished their worming today, and got pedicures. I will be getting the koi antibiotics for my 1 rooster's feet this payday. I'm not sure why his feet tend to be problematic, but they are. He's the only one that ever has trouble.

Latestarter, after you recuperate financially from your current electronics meltdown, you might want to look into an APC power backup for your electronics. Try tigerdirect.com, or newegg.com. We have a lot of lightening here in Florida. Surge protectors just don't do an adequate job of protecting electronics here. The APC power back up will take the hit, and are a LOT cheaper to replace, than having to go buy all new electronics. They also give you some time to power down in the event of a power failure. With the amount of money you had to spend, you might want to check your homeowners policy. If you spent more than the deductible on your policy, it might be worth submitting a claim.

So many things to comment on...

Diva, if you see a can of compressed air, buy that. Every once in a while, give the keyboard a little spraying to get out stuff, and then vacuum it.

Deb, celery (the stalk kind) is great in risottos, you chop it up and fry it with the onions before you start with the rice. Bell peppers are great in many foods, and I like them a lot better cooked. Stuffed bell peppers is one of my favorites. I should probably make those again sometime. Cauliflower is something I can't stand raw, but if you steam it in cream, and then purée it, season with a bit of salt and pepper, it goes great with lamb dishes. Fresh cilantro is something I really don't like. I sometimes use it for lamb marinades, but I can't stand it when it's used t garnish dishes. Every time someone makes something with it, they think you need a whole field full of cilantro on top of food. Yuck.

Oz, the asparagus is another thing that's great in risottos too, or then just steamed or grilled and served with a bit of butter. How can you feel so strongly about corn? It doesn't even have a too strong taste... The baked beans I can understand, many people don't like them.

Avocado has never been much of a favorite of mine. It works nicely with shrimp though. And I like guacamole, and avocado pasta is actually pretty decent too.

Finnish tomatoes are seldom good, and neither are the Spanish ones sold here. Tomatoes in Italy taste great though, they're allowed to ripen properly.

Latestarter, is it possible you had a power surge?

If you like Avocado and shrimp together try a Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.... The recipe below has quite a bit of heat in it you can adjust that to your pallet but it needs a little heat to bring out the flavors... Tobasco or Cirracha are both excellent with it and you can moderate the heat per serving if necessary.

OH MY GAWD. Lightly sauted shrimp with Salt and pepper and garlic powder and a little bit of red pepper.. or a teeny bit of Chili powder. When they are just done take them out and let them cool.

Now dice up avocado into about half inch sized cubes or sizes close to the shrimp in size. Toss them with Pico De Gallo... Or fresh Mexican Salsa... Or Diced tomatoes Onion, and just a little bit of Cerrano Chili. Fresh Jalepeno works but Cerrano has a better flavor for this. The Cilantro leaves lightly minced, no stems Can be omitted but addition of this is complementary to the flavor profile Again fresh garlic to taste. Now dice some cucumber about the same size as the Pico and the same quantity.
Squeeze in some lime juice to keep the avocado green and toss it all gently. Now add in some Catsup for a hint of sweeness to the sauce Clamato juice just enough to make it lightly soupy.

Toss in the shrimp and let all the flavors mingle.... make sure you pour in any of the juice let off by the shrimp too. I was friends with the Chef that served it to me the first time. He was classically trained French Chef... But Mexican. He used a French flair on his Mexican Cuisine. But this cocktail is all Mexican with one exception. He sauteed his shrimp instead of steaming them...

Up till then the only shrimp cocktail I ever had was Coctail sauce which is Catsup and Horseradish and seasonings Then Steamed shrimp are either mixed in or hung on the cup of sauce and dipped an ate. After trying a Mexican one I will never go back.

here is a basic recipe I found on line that is as close to the recipe above as I could find.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-spaniards-cocktail-of-shrimp-recipe.html

Its an orderve for a party or an outright meal if you serve larger portions. Great for a hot summer day. Spice is what helps us keep cool in the summer here.

deb

Latestarter, after you recuperate financially from your current electronics meltdown, you might want to look into an APC power backup for your electronics. Try tigerdirect.com, or newegg.com. We have a lot of lightening here in Florida. Surge protectors just don't do an adequate job of protecting electronics here. The APC power back up will take the hit, and are a LOT cheaper to replace, than having to go buy all new electronics. They also give you some time to power down in the event of a power failure. With the amount of money you had to spend, you might want to check your homeowners policy. If you spent more than the deductible on your policy, it might be worth submitting a claim.

Excellent advice. I need one up at my house because I am at the end of the power grid. My power fluctuates. Actually I need one for the refrigerator and freezer as well. Before I replace the ones that got killed by brown out conditions.

The kind for brownouts is different but similar...

deb

Last edited:
oz, ice cream is slippery, do you like ice cream?
tongue.png

Ice cream is not slippery. Mayonaisse on a hamberger is slippery, Okra are slippery.

Deb, that sounds tasty. I'm not a big fan of steamed shrimp either, my favorite way of preparing shrimp is to marinate them a bit in sweet chili sauce and lime juice, then quickly fry them in vegetable oil. Works in woks, or then I like to make a pasta sauce with them, adding some cream, lime juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper, and then some fresh basil at the end.

Excellent advice.  I need one up at my house because I am at the end of the power grid.  My power fluctuates.  Actually I need one for the refrigerator and freezer as well.  Before I replace the ones that got killed by brown out conditions.

The kind for brownouts is different but similar...

deb

You need AVR for the fridge. They will pull more amps at lower voltage to keep voltage up to 110. I have a couple for our appliances. They are also APC with battery back up.

Latestarter - maybe it was NSA - they have to be around wondering why so many people spend hours at some site called "Back Yard Chickens." Trust them to make something sinister out of chicken addicts, who do chicken math etc. Must be on their way to taking over the word, one stink egg at a time

Back
Top Bottom