The Old Folks Home

My plans for this weekend are really hectic. I am taking two of my horses up to Idaho for breed registry inspections. I leave tomorrow morning. Today is dedicated to making sure the truck and trailer are ready plus other odds and ends I need to get done to get on the road tomorrow. I know it is going to be a crazy couple of days until I get back home on Tuesday.

Have a safe trip! What exactly does the breed registry inspection do for you?

Over the years, I've had so many of them get about half grown, and suddenly one day wind up unable to stand. It's that vaulted skull, I hear - apparently, another bird pecks them on the head and the brain is just too vulnerable. If I keep the adults in an outside run, it seems like the first time their heads get wet, they start pecking at each other's crests, and before you know it, they are all bald! Right now, I have a frizzled hen that I am trying to raise some babies from, but she and the roo she's caged with have been eating most of the eggs before I find them, in spite of having food in the feeder 24/7. He was perfectly sweet until I put him with this hen, now, he has to challenge me every time I get near the cage, so I'm not 100% sure I want his offspring anyway.
hu.gif
bun.gif
lady, the rooster's temperment may go back to normal once you remove him from the breeding pen. Some roosters react defensively when placed in a more restricted environment. Then again he may remain evil.
smile.png

Hope you have a safe trip DD...I love horses..when you get back, maybe, just maybe you can post some of those beauties on here for us...maybe you already have?

Stump. Rain? Send some our way. We are so dry..we a couple of fires going on. This has been such a dry year for us. And, we have suffered so many fires. I am guessing you heard about some of those from dd.. she had one close by her I think.

Over the years, I've had so many of them get about half grown, and suddenly one day wind up unable to stand. It's that vaulted skull, I hear - apparently, another bird pecks them on the head and the brain is just too vulnerable. If I keep the adults in an outside run, it seems like the first time their heads get wet, they start pecking at each other's crests, and before you know it, they are all bald! Right now, I have a frizzled hen that I am trying to raise some babies from, but she and the roo she's caged with have been eating most of the eggs before I find them, in spite of having food in the feeder 24/7. He was perfectly sweet until I put him with this hen, now, he has to challenge me every time I get near the cage, so I'm not 100% sure I want his offspring anyway.
hu.gif

Oh dear, well, here's my plan..they will go into my Silkie pen. I only have two Silkies. They can't see anything too well with those eyes covered the way they are..soo..I hope they don't go for wet heads! And I hope the Polish don't go for wet heads..both Silkies and Polis have the vaults. Some of the baby polish don't have as high a vault I noticed. I know that is supposed to be a preferred look, and I do like it, but some have the preferred coloring coming out that I like..so I am keeping those. I have all of the babies sold that I am not keeping to watch for myself. Can't believe how fast they went. We just don't see too many Silkies, Showgirls, or Polish around here. The farmers want their eggs...me too! I have my egg layers. I don't have a large flock, but I a little of both. All of the grand kids love the different birds/colors.

SCG - this inspection allows me to register the (almost) 4 year old Allie (the troublemaker) with her Knabstrupper registry. She has to be inspected by an accepted warmblood registry since I am not hauling them all the way to CA to have them inspected by the Danes. I have to bring her mom too so that Allie can be placed in the "right" mare book for the registry. I am anticipating
fl.gif
that Allie will get good scores and will be able to be placed high in the registry. What this all really means is that if she scores high and I ever want to sell her, she will be worth more. Also doing this for the lady that I bought the mom from since she still has at least one of the mare's daughters and that daughter has a filly as well. The mother's inspection will also help her get those girls placed correctly. Just wish I had known that the Danes would take an Oldenburg inspection last year since there was one only about an hour away from me in Utah.
hmm.png

Cynthia, I have posted pics of them on here before but I will post pics again from the inspection on Monday.
Thanks to all for the well wishes!
thumbsup.gif

Stump. Rain? Send some our way. We are so dry..we a couple of fires going on. This has been such a dry year for us. And, we have suffered so many fires. I am guessing you heard about some of those from dd.. she had one close by her I think.

Yes. We've got mud and erosion issues on our place now and are hoping to get something done about it before winter. I'd love to share some of this rain with those out west! I think about it often, especially the grass along the roads that is a few feet high, when there is nothing to feed cattle out there, etc. It is unusual for us to have so much rain in August and temps only in the 80's and low 90's.

Well I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with my weekend. Had a housewarming to go to for a coworker, which went lovely today. Got home and picked this:

So I think that me and Presto (my pressure canner) will be spending the evening together.

I'd do it now but BF called the stove first, he's making chili!

Well I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with my weekend. Had a housewarming to go to for a coworker, which went lovely today. Got home and picked this:

So I think that me and Presto (my pressure canner) will be spending the evening together.

I'd do it now but BF called the stove first, he's making chili!

ep.gif
Lovely!

Back
Top Bottom