The Old Folks Home

I wonder if this El Niño business will bring any relief to Cali. I read that they had observed it in Australia now. It might be a bit late though.
Last year was a weak El Nino--It can go either way with that one. It generally increases rain to the "north"(Loosely defined) and lowers rainfall to the south. Washington and Oregon had a wet year--we had the driest in 100 years. It was worse further south.

Quote:
Whew....
th.gif
glad everythings ok.... sorry about the paperwork.... I hate paperwork...

deb

I have to get some hives set up today. I'm picking up 2 packages of bees at 8am tomorrow. It's about an hour drive.
Then Thursday I have to go to court for a red light camera ticket. Also an hour away and at 8 am.

Quote:
Vehve El Nino also messes with the ocean temperatures... The pacific along the West coast here is normally a cold ocean.... The normal fish that live here have gone out to deeper or colder water and the seals that depend on it are dieing... the pups any way. The cold ocean is what gives SAn Diego its mild Mediterranean climate too. instead of Desert.

We dont get tropical storms normally either. This year through summer we may.... which will help. Nothing like a hurricane but still rain.

deb

So sorry about life sucking!

cross beak is not an inherited characteristic--it is a genetic mistake--It is not passed on but is caused by an error in replication.

Cull the cross beaked chick and keep breeding as normal. It is not going to become a problem in your flock.

Is that true for wry tail as well? Or is it genetic? We have a crazy little runt that we love and she is as crooked as the day is long. We don't plan to breed her, just curious.
hu.gif

Tropical storms - bleh. We just got done with one. Not too bad; 6 inches or so of rain, mostly on Saturday. The local amphibians are lovin' it, of course.

We get tornadoes here, too, right up to F5's. I hear it takes just the right conditions to make a tornado, but you can get pretty nasty damage from wind without the spin. Every year we see damage from "straight line winds" or downbursts associated with thunderstorms, which may do more widespread damage than a smaller tornado would.

Perhaps because there are so many trees around here, tornadoes often seem to skip along at treetop level, rather than plowing along all the way to the ground. The result can be surprisingly capricious. I remember many, many years ago, delivering a pizza to a house on a cul-de-sac on the southern side of Wilmington. This house was completely intact, except for maybe a couple of missing shingles. Behind it stood a community water tower, also intact. The houses on either side were fine, too. Two doors down, it looked like a bomb had gone off - the structure was a complete shambles; you could hardly tell it had been a house. On the other side of it was a building that was still under construction. There was a little damage to it, but it looked like it would be only a minor setback for the construction crew. The trees on the street were missing a branch here or there, but nothing major. A tornado had struck this neighborhood a few days before; almost everything was fine, but that one house was annihilated. You had to wonder what the insurance guy thought . . . .

Is that true for wry tail as well? Or is it genetic? We have a crazy little runt that we love and she is as crooked as the day is long. We don't plan to breed her, just curious.
hu.gif
Wry tail may be a recessive trait but it is not understood yet. It happens in numbers that suggest it is inherited.

Cross beak is too rare to be inherited so there is no question about it. Bent toes, towards the foot, are likely inherited. toes that curve out are likely not inherited.

Still, it is a good idea to use birds that do not have those faults.

Tropical storms - bleh. We just got done with one. Not too bad; 6 inches or so of rain, mostly on Saturday. The local amphibians are lovin' it, of course.

We get tornadoes here, too, right up to F5's. I hear it takes just the right conditions to make a tornado, but you can get pretty nasty damage from wind without the spin. Every year we see damage from "straight line winds" or downbursts associated with thunderstorms, which may do more widespread damage than a smaller tornado would.

Perhaps because there are so many trees around here, tornadoes often seem to skip along at treetop level, rather than plowing along all the way to the ground. The result can be surprisingly capricious. I remember many, many years ago, delivering a pizza to a house on a cul-de-sac on the southern side of Wilmington. This house was completely intact, except for maybe a couple of missing shingles. Behind it stood a community water tower, also intact. The houses on either side were fine, too. Two doors down, it looked like a bomb had gone off - the structure was a complete shambles; you could hardly tell it had been a house. On the other side of it was a building that was still under construction. There was a little damage to it, but it looked like it would be only a minor setback for the construction crew. The trees on the street were missing a branch here or there, but nothing major. A tornado had struck this neighborhood a few days before; almost everything was fine, but that one house was annihilated. You had to wonder what the insurance guy thought . . . .

I have a friend who many years ago built a brand new barn for her horses.... A down burst flattened it.... The old barn withstood the onslaught.

I had never heard of a down burst before.

I did a bit of research about tornadoes out of curiosity and found there are only a few places in the world that get them.... we are the worst.

http://www.weather.com/storms/tornado/news/tornadoes-around-world-20140329

Europe
Africa
Australia
china
south america
Japan

but the largest is the US and canada.

Though the boundaries for tornadoes in the US show places that they rarely occur... California has em but I dont think I have heard of more than one or two in sixty years now.

waterspouts yes.

the following link is a bit more to my taste as far as info goes.

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2013/07/25/from-domestic-to-international-tornadoes-around-the-world/

deb

I have a friend who many years ago built a brand new barn for her horses.... A down burst flattened it.... The old barn withstood the onslaught.

I had never heard of a down burst before.

I did a bit of research about tornadoes out of curiosity and found there are only a few places in the world that get them.... we are the worst.

http://www.weather.com/storms/tornado/news/tornadoes-around-world-20140329

Europe
Africa
Australia
china
south america
Japan

but the largest is the US and canada.

Though the boundaries for tornadoes in the US show places that they rarely occur... California has em but I dont think I have heard of more than one or two in sixty years now.

waterspouts yes.

the following link is a bit more to my taste as far as info goes.

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2013/07/25/from-domestic-to-international-tornadoes-around-the-world/

deb
There have been several in the Colusa, Tehama, butte and glenn county area. Several years ago there was one in Williams that damaged a house. Because of the shape of the valley, they are small and do not go very far.

Water spouts are tornadoes over water so you likely have them down in your area.

The Weather service was forced to admit that California had tornadoes when Doppler radar showed them happening so the data is only about 20 years old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom