The Old Folks Home

Good morning, y'all!

It's 57 degrees out here in Maine and a gorgeous morning.

How is everyone?

Good morning to you

It's about 80 degrees out here in Southern Calif. and still dark out (3:00 AM). Time for a nap have stuff to do today.

frow.gif

Wisher, Knabstruppers are Danish warmbloods of color. They can come in all different colors similar to Appaloosas to include solid although the leopard pattern is most desireable. The picture above is of Allie's sire, Atlantis (actually his name is Ambrosius af Asgard but his stable name is Atlantis). The lady I bought Lachlin from in foal with Allie had him imported from Germany. The breed registry (KNN) is one of the oldest breed registries in Europe. The Danes only come over to the states every few years so I had to take Allie and Lach to be inspected by the Oldenburg/International Sporthorse registry so that they can be placed in the KNN books for breeding and registration for Allie. Allie would have scored higher at a KNN inspection since there are two "types" of Knabstruppers. The sporthorse type and the classical baroque type. Atlantis is on the baroque side and Allie favors him more than her dam. I am planning on keeping her in training and probably going to get her into jumping as she gets more mature. She jumped out of her stall when we were up in Idaho through a 5' wide by 4 1/2' tall hole without getting a scratch on her or the barn itself. BTW, Knabstruppers do look like Appaloosas but they actually evolved separate from the Appaloosa breed in Europe. It is the same gene in both breeds that causes the spots. OK horsey lesson over for today
wink.png

SCG you are correct, they are both perfect 10's in my eyes.
thumbsup.gif

I'd never heard of the Knabstruppers before. What a beautiful breed.

I'm trying not to envy those cool temps! It is an unusually "cool" August for us, though. I'm trying not to dread today's chores; moving lumber and bricks by hand.

Thank you! I learned something today! I can go back to bed (I wish!) Those are beautiful and I'm sure that it will work out for you. Keep at it, persistence is hard to defeat.

Yes, Stumpy, I too am suffering from temperature envy even though it feels WONDERFULLY cool out this morning. I can't wait til fall gets here and the temps are bearable during the day (bearable for me is 50's or 60's. I can work like a horse if the outside temp is cool enough to keep me from overheating internally with the exertion.) I won't pretend that my weight is NOT a factor, but "not sweating" runs in my family and we overheat easily. Add menopause and wearing black polyester everyday at work to the mix and I am one unhappy camper in the summer! Come on fall and winter!

Quick question on chickens - I am incubating some guinea eggs that were given to me. I don't think they were turned prior to starting and I have no idea how long they were stored. I am prepared for a dismal hatch but was wondering what issues I can expect from those that do develop and hatch. I know that there is a good chance that I will have to cull some.....

Last edited:
It's a pleasant 72 degrees here, should get up close to 90, so they say..they also say we are going to have scattered thunderstorms..well, if it rains good and hard, that would be a good thing for us..we need the rain, but, we don't need any more fires started by lightening. Have been smelling smoke around here for the last couple of days from a fire that really isn't that near, but the wind carries it right to us. It's been hazy too because of it. Not as bad as what we had a while back though. We have several fires going on in Utah right now.
dd, that horse, is pretty nice looking alright. I like yours just as well..really. Do you ride often? I miss that.

Wisher, yeah, I keep thinking about how much more I could get done with lower temps -- so looking forward to fall. My weight is certainly a factor. Too bad you can't at least wear cotton to work.

Cynthia I think they both look nice too.
big_smile.png
I was hoping that Allie would be colored like her sire but I can't complain about the blue roan color either. Something about blues when it comes to animals is just lovely to me. I have a blue merle and a bi-blue Shelties plus "lavender" chickens. Allie, when bred to even a solid color horse will throw the spots so I might try to find a really nice black sporthorse to breed her to. I could wind up with the leopard spotting like her dad. BTW I think a lot of the smoke we have had down in Utah the last week or so has been blown in from Idaho. It really was awful up there from the border all the way to Boise.

Pics as promised

Thanks to all for the nice comments! They didn't score as well as I had hoped but it is what it is. Today I have the long drive home. Just want to get on the road now and get out of Idaho. It is sooooooooooo smoky from all the fires. I feel like I can't get a good breath of air.
Sorry they did n't score as you had hoped--the scoring system is rather tough. Did they "pass"?

Allie, when bred to even a solid color horse will throw the spots so I might try to find a really nice black sporthorse to breed her to. I could wind up with the leopard spotting like her dad.
Have a look at Sinatra Song. Has typical Hannoverian movement if you like that. All black with good dressage genes. Will any solid work--chestnut too?

Just catching up as the PC has been at the fix it doctor--killing the viruses!

SCG-- nice produce! Poor BF--will he ever try hot peppers again? If our fingers hurt, his mouth must have BURNED!

Love the pics of the Polish!! So pretty--like models on the runway.

Who has a salsa recipe to share?? I think I could get my boys to make it.

HELL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

How y'all doin'?

Greetings from AZ, where it's almost 8:30 and still 84 degrees with 67% humidity.

552097_10150989750196984_2083170348_n.jpg

DW is headed to Tampa for the RNC next week. She'll find out what real humidity is.

Last edited:
Who has a salsa recipe to share?? I think I could get my boys to make it.

3 cups tomatoes (chopped and peeled)
3 cups hot (or not) peppers, mixed (I used jalapenos and habaneros with some regular bell to round it out)
1 cup chopped onion
6 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoons oregano
1.5 tsp salt
0.5 tsp cumin
1 cup cider vinegar
other herbs to taste, we hate cilantro but you could add that

combine all ingredients in pot, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 min. Ladle into hot jars with 1/2 inch headspace and process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.

I also got this recipe from the easy gardens thread on "what have you canned or preserved today"
(HOT) Salsa - Omit hot peppers if you want mild:

About 8 lbs of tomatoes (8-10 cups chopped)
1 Large onion chopped
4 bell peppers chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped (or cilantro which I hate)
2-4 Jalopenos w/ seeds finely chopped
4 Cloves of garlic minced
3 Tbsp Canning salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 Cup of distilled vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to med-low for 15-20 minutes.

Put into sterilized jars and waterbath can for 15 minutes to seal (20 for quart size)

HELL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

How y'all doin'?

Greetings from AZ, where it's almost 8:30 and still 84 degrees with 67% humidity.

552097_10150989750196984_2083170348_n.jpg

DW is headed to Tampa for the RNC next week. She'll find out what real humidity is.

She'll also probably see real rain for the first time in her life, as well!
lau.gif
Hope she has a safe trip!

Back
Top Bottom