The Old Folks Home

I use rusty nails or other rusty things in my herb gardens. Works wonders for them. Old rusty wheelbarrows are great for herbs:) It's the iron that comes from the rust that helps stuff grow. I don't know if it would work for the color change or not. Worth a try and better yet if you can find those old railroad ties to stick in the soil near the plants, but they are getting harder to find nowadays as the railroads don't use them anymore & people have scooped them up and selling for crazy prices in antique shops now.
Geeze I meant railroad spikes. Duh! Haha!

The carcinogenic nature of the creasote the railroad ties are impregnated with makes them a bit of a concern; as does the ability of the creasote to create chemical burns on contact. My husband found out about the second problem the hard way; he had to cut some railroad ties with a chainsaw for a landscaping job and got some nasty burns on his ankles after getting some of the sawdust in his socks.
Shoot I meant rr spikes. Would be a bit difficult to fit a rr tie in a little wheelbarrow:) You are right about the creosote though. Our electric company used to give the old electric poles away, but you had to sign all kinds of forms stating about where and where not to use them, etc. Part of my "North 40" (what I call the very back of my property, my late husband put them up in a corner as privacy barriers. They are still up after 20 years.

Last edited:
On another note. .. ..

Introducing Rookie!!! An English Pointer.
Awww, he is gorgeous
love.gif

Had to come look as I had no clue. It's called a Bravos by Maytag. And there's no front panel that can be removed on it.On the inside of the lid are instructions on how to use, but it says nothing regarding a lint trap or filter. This isn't an expensive high end machine.

Ok.. I know I have been missing. It's mid summer harvest here. And I finally got the bandits all taken care of. Went to the county fair. It was depressing on the no poultry part.. but I love baby cows.im on the mend from my relapse *multiple sclerosis* and went to a small clay walker concert freebie for ms patients. I still miss penny every morning who knew you could miss one chicken so much. My corn isn't doing well neither are my green beans, it's a sad year. I started learning entrelac knitting And have a old hen in the crockpot.
None of our veggies did good this year. I have a gazillion green bean vines but haven't had a handful of beans off them. I have alot of lima bean pods but no doggone beans in them. Everything here in CA has just been weird from this drought.

The government sticks its nose in everything when they need to be helping us instead. It's sad and sickening at the same time. Next thing you know we'll be taxed to pee.

Good morning everyone. I went to the the doc in the box yesterday to get a shot and my DH was reading a magazine and found a letter in it written about a back yard chicken farmer and the state of Oklahoma taking and selling their eggs as a public resource! I tried looking around online and have not found anything yet. I also just emailed this to my sister who lives in Ok. to see if she has heard anything about it.
I took a pic of it but the quality is not great from my phone.

The article is not about back yard chickens, it is about paddlefish eggs.

The Egg Takers: Harvesting America's Paddlefish Caviar

Heartland caviar, the eggs from swollen-river paddlefish, is big business in Oklahoma. But does commercializing a wild resource put it in danger?
Article by Steve Wagner

Hmmm feather painting... wouldn't it be easier with a brush?  or go all out and get a compressor and paint gun?  :oops: :smack
So many folks over the years have asked me if it's hard to paint on feathers. I make a joke about it and tell them the painting is easy. It's getting the bird to stand still that's difficult. Then I make sure to follow up that no birds are harmed in procuring feathers for my artwork.

Back
Top Bottom