The Old Folks Home

As you know, Florida gets hit with some pretty good storms, and hurricanes, so it's not unusual to be without power for up to 3 weeks. At my old house, I had no backup generator, so without power, water was an issue. We put in 3 of these. We got them one at a time, with income tax return money. That ensured that I had 300 gallons of good water, even if the power went out.
http://www.aquascience.net/amtrol-well-x-trol-119-gallon-water-system-pressure-tank-wx-350

Now, in our new home, I'm looking at this type, since they are more readily available here, at a good price. They use them a lot here for orange juice. Used ones go for about $100.00. I thought about hooking it into the line going to the coop. That way the water would be used, and replaced with fresh water, on a steady basis, so it doesn't stagnate.
View attachment 1173762
I can get those totes from work for free. There's a waiting list but I've got a couple. First one I brought home DW asked what I was going to do with it, brew my next batch of hard cider! :lau
I got it to increase the water reservoir on our wood boiler, make it even more efficient. Was going to insulate it in our cellar, until I realized there was no way to get it in the cellar Lol.
Think I'll just cut it in half and use it for a chick brooder.

I can get those totes from work for free. There's a waiting list but I've got a couple. First one I brought home DW asked what I was going to do with it, brew my next batch of hard cider! :lau
I got it to increase the water reservoir on our wood boiler, make it even more efficient. Was going to insulate it in our cellar, until I realized there was no way to get it in the cellar Lol.
Think I'll just cut it in half and use it for a chick brooder.

Dh gets them from work as well.
I've seen them on Pinterest painted black and used for chicken auto waterers.

Diva, this is a pic of them, and yes, some are food safe. I won't buy a used one that has had chemicals stored in it, but like I said, they use a lot of them here for orange juice, so those are food safe.
26wn2n_1_6.jpg

Happy Halloween everyone!

My standard sized birds decided to pull their own trick or treat prank on me. One of them decided to die overnight. Geesh, my question of 'who died' was answered by ME! ME! as she lay flat on her belly in the coop. She was one of my Marek's resistant Buff O's too so crap crap CRAP! When I checked her over she was of good weight, no signs of illness but she did have a small prolapse that had went undetected. Infection there? More than likely. She was very stinky and her fluffy butt had hid the problem.

I stand and watch my birds a couple of times a day just to make sure nothing is going on that I need to hop on and treat/cull and this gal flew right under the radar.

Down to 18 standard sized birds now but I need to go out and count noses to be sure.

I wish there were orange orchards around us.I'd love to get my hands on a few of those water totes.

Happy Halloween everyone!

My standard sized birds decided to pull their own trick or treat prank on me. One of them decided to die overnight. Geesh, my question of 'who died' was answered by ME! ME! as she lay flat on her belly in the coop. She was one of my Marek's resistant Buff O's too so crap crap CRAP! When I checked her over she was of good weight, no signs of illness but she did have a small prolapse that had went undetected. Infection there? More than likely. She was very stinky and her fluffy butt had hid the problem.

I stand and watch my birds a couple of times a day just to make sure nothing is going on that I need to hop on and treat/cull and this gal flew right under the radar.

Down to 18 standard sized birds now but I need to go out and count noses to be sure.

I wish there were orange orchards around us.I'd love to get my hands on a few of those water totes.
:hugs

I am so sorry!
They hide illness since predators look for that. When they look sick, they are very sick indeed

True that.Thanks Ron.

I've learned that with the Marek's when they show me that they are sick, I may as well just dig the hole and brace myself.

I've had a couple roosters with severe injuries from fighting during spring breeding season heal up surprisingly well with general first aid and intervention but if they are sick and have been exposed to Marek's that is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Back
Top Bottom