The Old Folks Home

:drool
I LOVE cheese. I think I inherited the taste for it from my dad who would make a meal out of cheese and crackers.

In things we talk about I forgot to add ' and my chickens dropping dead,' which surprisingly they aren't at the moment. Last year this time I was loosing a bird every 5 to 7 days to some side effect of Marek's. Now, I open the coop door every morning with the same greeting "Okay, who's dead this morning?" and when I note that nobody's in a corner lying on their backs with their little feet in the air I must get this bewildered look on my face for an instant. I've hesitated culling extra roosters because usually they are the ones that are dropping like flies for me. I was talking to DH yesterday about asking our Amish neighbor's son if he wanted to make some extra money dressing out the 15 odd bantam cross cockerels I have and this morning DH said, you know, maybe you had better wait to see who doesn't make it through the spring breeding season.

I keep telling myself that this is a good thing but in the same breath, I keep waiting for the hammer to drop....
Ha! Micro, i have not had any die with their feet sticking up in the air yet, but thanks for the laugh! I feel the same way every time i go out there. Not even sure i have a SS cockerel left any more, i only had 2.
Had a very long day, started out with my VIP interview pictures earlier than i think i have woken up any time since we moved here. Lots of shopping and bought 3 bunnies, got 1 free.
Now to read some BYC and chill out.

Married you for better or worse, right @chickisoup ?

Ice jam on the Ausable River (NY) Jan 12th. Flowing, flowing, flowing, ICE JAM!, clearing, clearing, clearing, flowing, flowing, flowing. The video is in 30 second intervals, only 55 seconds long. The water rose 7' 6" in 14 minutes or over 6" per minute. No wonder people have no warning nor time to escape! The ice jam starts 27 seconds into the video.
:eek:
That's why I would not ever want to live near a river... I love ice fishing, on ponds and lakes, can't believe people ice fish on rivers, crazy people.
I haven't been up there but have been to Indian lake and Long lake many times. Love the Adirondacks, I live in the Catskill Mts, and they are pretty awesome also, but the high peaks of the Adirondacks always keep me in awe everytime I'm up there.
Deer hunting sucks up there but I still go up almost every yr cause they have big one's, and just to take in the scenery, scale a mountain, climb a fire tower and just take in the beauty, worth more to me than getting a big buck.

Well, we survived the great storm of 2018 that, at least for us, was a bit of a fizzle. We only got about half a foot of the white stuff tho it was mostly sideways View attachment 1244785Just a bit to our west they really got it. Speaking of which, this morning I almost got it from my otherwise sweet DH. We were both out with the snowthrowers. He finished the driveway while I was still working on clearing the critter areas and around the sheds so he grabbed a shovel and came to help. We had one rather large snow pile not far from the back steps but inside the critter fence that I wanted to try to move since we are supposed to have a possible melt coming by the end of the week and I wanted to head off any potential flooding. Anyway, I was focusing intently on fighting my machine thru the large pile unaware that DH was working on the drift just to my side. I was so focused on what I was doing I lost track of where my chute was aimed as I began attacking the pile from a different angle. I looked up and..............there stood my DH, white literally from head to foot! I can only assume he was (trying) to glare at me since all I could see where his eyes were supposed to be was what looked like two large snowballs stuck to his glasses! :lau:gig:lau I ran over to him and began trying to get the snow out of his coat while trying to sincerely apologize, but I don't think I was very convincing since I was laughing so hard I could barely speak. He just stood there without a word, quietly trying to find his face. I quickly retreated back to my machine and tried to keep him from seeing my continued giggling as I was fully aware there was no way that I could outrun him.:lol:
:lau :gig :lau Wish i could have seen that!

That's ok ham radio is it like cb I use to love cb radio, breaker breaker lol I've always wanted to learn more about ham radio
I wish it was that simple, LOL. I had a cb way back when. Not much to it, get your FCC license which you don't need any longer, get on and yack. HAM is technical. Lots of electronics, lots of rules that the FCC loves to enforce, lots of technobabble that just makes my brains hurt. The big difference is that you can talk longer distances and to other countries if you are so inclined. My husband used to repair radios when he was in the Army. He was assigned to an ASA base in Korea. He has never lost his love for electronics and radios and recently bought a pair of walkie talkies for us to use on our farm. They are duo purpose and can be walkie talkies or hand held HAM radios. I suggested to him that he should get his license and before I knew it, I was studying also. He had experience. I don't. At times I tell him they may as well be talking Swahili. Then bless him, he stops and explains whatever they are talking about in easy for a nurse to understand English. I shrug, say, Oh, okay, I understand that, and then move on.

All I can say is I'd danged well better pass this test when I take it.

Well, we survived the great storm of 2018 that, at least for us, was a bit of a fizzle. We only got about half a foot of the white stuff tho it was mostly sideways View attachment 1244785Just a bit to our west they really got it. Speaking of which, this morning I almost got it from my otherwise sweet DH. We were both out with the snowthrowers. He finished the driveway while I was still working on clearing the critter areas and around the sheds so he grabbed a shovel and came to help. We had one rather large snow pile not far from the back steps but inside the critter fence that I wanted to try to move since we are supposed to have a possible melt coming by the end of the week and I wanted to head off any potential flooding. Anyway, I was focusing intently on fighting my machine thru the large pile unaware that DH was working on the drift just to my side. I was so focused on what I was doing I lost track of where my chute was aimed as I began attacking the pile from a different angle. I looked up and..............there stood my DH, white literally from head to foot! I can only assume he was (trying) to glare at me since all I could see where his eyes were supposed to be was what looked like two large snowballs stuck to his glasses! :lau:gig:lau I ran over to him and began trying to get the snow out of his coat while trying to sincerely apologize, but I don't think I was very convincing since I was laughing so hard I could barely speak. He just stood there without a word, quietly trying to find his face. I quickly retreated back to my machine and tried to keep him from seeing my continued giggling as I was fully aware there was no way that I could outrun him.:lol:

That's so funny! Another good reason why I don't want to live where it snows. I'd do something like that. I don't think my Dh would handle it so well. It would be the start of the snowblower wars.

Hey AL! You missed all the excitement back home. That was really a serious rock n' roll off shore. Would you have been affected by the tsunami warning?

The boys slept through it... spouse woke up... said warnings went to all cell phones and the giant town siren went off incase of a tsunami. None happened though. :confused:

From the placement, it seems to be outside the actual "ring of fire"

Yep.. I am at 1,300 feet above sea level. .. no way could a tsunami touch me... unless we are talking true end of the world. .. :lau and then who cares.

Isn't all of Alaska in the ring of fire? Or at least most of it? I thought I heard the quake center was over by Kodiak.. which is right off of the Alaska Peninsula chain of islands... that entire area (and where I am) is solid volcanos.

Back
Top Bottom