The Old Folks Home

Holy hell is that daffodils and green grass?
Avert your eyes SCG, I am. We will only cause ourselves misery if we look at that sort of thing this time of year.

There are a number of dairy farms in Vermont that have methane digesters. They produce so much electricity that the power not only their farms but feed into the grid as well. And yes the dry stuff that is left over is used as fertilizer.

Avert your eyes SCG, I am. We will only cause ourselves misery if we look at that sort of thing this time of year.

There are a number of dairy farms in Vermont that have methane digesters. They produce so much electricity that the power not only their farms but feed into the grid as well. And yes the dry stuff that is left over is used as fertilizer.
We have a farm like that near here and the government passed laws so they can't use their methane plant.

Hens, aren't they cute the little.......

My broody is settled down on 5 eggs. I had collected 4 eggs from my two little BBR Orscheln hens and when I went out there was another egg in one of the boxes. The four I gave Iris were nice and warm from the house. Gave them to her and took out the porcelain eggs without a hitch, showed her the new eggs which was cold naturally, asked her if she wanted it too and laid it at her breast and she shuffled it under with the rest.

Tomorrow I'll put up the barricade around her nesting box so she isn't bothered and can't escape, LOL. DH watched me wrapping the eggs in a towel to take them out and said on my way by....hope you aren't going to have to bring those back and put them in the incubator.

Frankly, so do I.

Hey, if your hen pecked boyo can't get the job done I got a big Buff O Welsummer cross with three inch spurs that I can send you ......oh wait, that nasty Marek's thing...never mind.

I met a guy once that said he could generate enough methane in a 55 gallon drum to run his volks wagon.....:gig I can see it now a ratty rusty old bug with a 55 gallon drum sitting in the back seat and a still like tube coming out of the top to the carbourator....

How appropriate for the desert life.

There is one problem with generating methane to use as a fuel.... It is very difficult to pressurize.... so you have to have a bag to contain it that equals the volumn of the fuel

The way they do it in india is have a wide huge tank and pump in manure. A simple device is designed to stir it gently constantly... Then a heavy concrete lid is put on over the top... Sort of like how petri dishes work. The climate is warm in these areas and warmth creates very active bacteria to digest the sludge. As they let off their gas it fills the space as it fills the space it lifts the lid.... giving it a bit of pressure.

Methane is taken from the vat when its pressureized enough and its used for cooking. The BTUs from it are pretty pitiful....

I will dig up a video in a minute...

deb

Back
Top Bottom