The Old Folks Home

Vienna, 5 weeks old tomorrow. I think she thinks she is a pet. She jumped on my hand when I put it near the ground.
DSCN0999.JPG

The 6 "littles" have taken to foraging in the tall grass behind the barn. All that dark stuff is the alpacas' poop pile "trail". The chickens work it down over time.
DSCN0991.JPG DSCN0992.JPG

And again last night were sleeping in a pig pile in the corner on top of the brooder in the coop. No picture, sorry.

SCG is your crazy turkey still broody???

Of course she is. She also switched nests, and yesterday I went out and threw out all the eggs in all the nests because I hadn't collected in a few days (been basically working and sleeping only) and wasn't sure what would be bloody and what wouldn't be... in her nest there was a turkey egg with a almost fully formed chick in it :sick so I threw out the other chicken eggs in there and left the last turkey egg. Not that I want more turkeys but ick it was alive and the flock started eating it.

And fought over it.

It was not a pleasant sight. So I left the other turkey egg.

Got most of the front gardens planted (mostly cucurbits and 2 rogue tomato plants along with the garlic), until the dirt gets here (Wednesday) to do the raised planters. Now inside to rest a bit then go do the back kitchen garden. That'll be corn, a row of pumpkins, then however many tomatoes I can fit in, then a row of celery and a thing of scarlet runner beans.

Trying to cut back a bit this year - stopped doing beans, peas, lettuce, spinach, broccoli and all the melons. After 10 years of attempting melons... it just can't be done up here.

Of course she is. She also switched nests, and yesterday I went out and threw out all the eggs in all the nests because I hadn't collected in a few days (been basically working and sleeping only) and wasn't sure what would be bloody and what wouldn't be... in her nest there was a turkey egg with a almost fully formed chick in it :sick so I threw out the other chicken eggs in there and left the last turkey egg. Not that I want more turkeys but ick it was alive and the flock started eating it.

And fought over it.

It was not a pleasant sight. So I left the other turkey egg.

Got most of the front gardens planted (mostly cucurbits and 2 rogue tomato plants along with the garlic), until the dirt gets here (Wednesday) to do the raised planters. Now inside to rest a bit then go do the back kitchen garden. That'll be corn, a row of pumpkins, then however many tomatoes I can fit in, then a row of celery and a thing of scarlet runner beans.

Trying to cut back a bit this year - stopped doing beans, peas, lettuce, spinach, broccoli and all the melons. After 10 years of attempting melons... it just can't be done up here.
upload_2017-9-19_13-5-16.gif

Been working pretty much non stop for the past 3 weeks and was supposed to plant my garden today but it ended up raining. After getting the house back to a reasonable level of filth, I sat down at my sewing machine and quilted up a Noah's Ark panel for CrazyNeighborLady who is having her fifth kid, and first girl.
View attachment 1406006 View attachment 1406007

Panels are such an easy way to get things done. Just like that, a nice play mat/quilt was born.

Hopefully the weather stays nice tomorrow and I can get my garden in. I want to head to the ceremony in the cemeteries at the VA on Monday.
Yeah, they need to make more panel fabric.

What was funny was the second time I evicted Iris and the little ones from the broody's nest, one of the chicks came up missing. I was on hands and knees searching for him and suddenly heard a squeal and little one came shooting out of the box like a rocket. One of the broodies had gotten tired of it trying to snuggle up to her and sent it packing.

Hatching time is going to be fun......not.

DH got the low down on the little Amish boy up the road from us who lost his foot last week. Our neighbor stopped by to talk to him about haying our pasture this year and told him that what happened is the little two year old was out in the field and dad who was at the reins of his team of horses pulling the sickle bar mower yelled at him to go back to the house. Little boy, being a 2 year old ignored him, and here is the really scary part, hid in the tall grass, lying down in it and jumping up when the team got near him. That was when the mower caught him and severed his foot. Think of what would have happened if that little one hadn't jumped up when he did!:eek::thI don't even want to imagine it.

I feel as sorry for the poor dad as I do the little two year old. Every time he looks at that little one as he grows up he is going to be reminded of what happened.
So sad, where was Mom? Someone needs to watch a 2 year old!

What do you do if you have a broody setting hen that no matter how many times you forcibly evict her won't give up the nest box? Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. We moved Barbie to her very own newly-completed Corrales Chick Condo with deep sand run under the nectarine tree where she can hatch her eggs and raise her chicks in secluded peace without interference from the other birds. Stay tuned... Babies due next week.

Stew the Roo has noticed her absence -- can chickens count? -- and is a little stressed, but Barbie is enjoying not having the other hens usurp her nest to make deposits.

Back
Top Bottom