The Old Folks Home

What do you do if you have a broody setting hen that no matter how many times you forcibly evict her won't give up the nest box? Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. We moved Barbie to her very own newly-completed Corrales Chick Condo with deep sand run under the nectarine tree where she can hatch her eggs and raise her chicks in secluded peace without interference from the other birds. Stay tuned... Babies due next week.

Stew the Roo has noticed her absence -- can chickens count? -- and is a little stressed, but Barbie is enjoying not having the other hens usurp her nest to make deposits.

great use of one of the prefab coops cannot wait to see your little ones

great use of one of the prefab coops cannot wait to see your little ones

Yep, had a time crunch and spotted it on Wayfair. Fairly easy to put together, too. Had to apply locking latches and some under-run mesh to fortify it a bit. Hopefully it'll do the trick. After being a broody pen, I may just use it to grow out some replacement pullets.

Yes, the little boy was air lifted to the Women's and Children's Hospital in Columbia for treatment.

The Amish. I wish I understood them better. They all have HUGE families. Not unusual to see 17 kids in a family. Once the older children get big enough to walk on their own they help out with the younger children. We were at one of our Amish neighbors houses one day. Many of them offer small services/businesses on their farms. This one sells BOSS and scratch along with some other feeds and I think I had stopped by to buy a bag of BOSS when this little girl sauntered in....maybe a good solid 3 years of age, bear hugging and carrying her little brother who was under a year. She looked around, turned around and sauntered off with him barely able to keep the little guy's feet from dragging on the ground.

They just do things differently and with such large families I don't know how they would do anything any differently than the way they do them.

I do have to say that usually the children are very well behaved and listen to their parents. This little one was just too young to be where he was and almost paid for it with his life.

Last I heard he is staying with grand parents at this time. Don't know the whys and where fores. The owner of the Amish General Store told me that she knew a teen ager who had suffered the same injury and adapted quite well. I know it isn't unusual to see Amish men with missing digits, blinded eyes, etc. They work with primitive equipment so 'crap' happens......a lot to them.

Back
Top Bottom