The Old Folks Home

We have a new amendment to our state constitution on the ballot tomorrow. I'm wary of it. The title is 'Right to Farm'. The wording is so vague, any conflicts that arise will have to be worked out in court. Corporations have the money for that. Monsanto and out of state interests are big backers. I'm leaning no. The basis of the amendment is already law so why a constitutional amendment?

http://ballotpedia.org/Missouri_Right-to-Farm,_Amendment_1_(August_2014)

You wouldn't believe the ads being run on both sides.
That doesn't link straight to the proposed wording of the amendment, but I have to say, the way many US laws are named, I wouldn't be surprised if that was something that defines a farm as a ridiculously huge piece of property, making it virtually impossible for small scale farmers to continue with their farming. It's interesting how you can make people think a certain way by just naming a law right. West wing and House of Cards have a lot of interesting fictional examples.

It really does give the wording. That's it. Short and sweet.
This is the complete ballot entry from the Secretary of State's website.

Amendment 1
Official Ballot Title:

Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure that the right of Missouri citizens to engage in agricultural production and ranching practices shall not be infringed?
The potential costs or savings to governmental entities are unknown, but likely limited unless the resolution leads to increased litigation costs and/or the loss of federal funding.​
Fair Ballot Language:
A “yes” vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to guarantee the rights of Missourians to engage in farming and ranching practices, subject to any power given to local government under Article VI of the Missouri Constitution.
A “no” vote will not amend the Missouri Constitution regarding farming and ranching.
If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.​

ETA
One of the commercials for the amendment passage has a bunch of people claiming to be farmers and how they produce good food for Missourians.

The commercial opposing a yes vote has another farmer who states that the amendment will allow large Chinese corporations unlimited access to farm in Missouri and the resultant pollution.

The wording is so vague, anything can be true and the entity with the most funds for lawyering up will get to do whatever they want.

Last edited:

I had never heard of vindaloo until I watched the British comedy  "RED DWARF".   Remember about 20 years ago.   I'm all about cheesy.   Chicken Vindaloo was the stars favorite meal.  I had to look it up to see what it was.    Deep south cooking.     But then I was grown before I had fried oysters, chinese food and pizza.  Seems impossible, right.   But we didn't eat out at all and Mama wanted her meat  and eggs totally cooked through and through.  :lau

I had fried oysters but not Chinese food or Pizza. I was in Air Force Tech school in Illinois almost 19 years old. There was a food truck that sold mostly pizza and Cokes. The first time it came by the barracks the guys yelled Pizza Pop and took off outside. I couldn't figure out who Pizza Pop was until they came back with Pizza and soda water.

We did not go out to eat either we ate home cooked food. I recall when I saw a cereal commercial and I asked mom if we could have some she thought I had lost my mind. We ate eggs, oatmeal, or malt-o-meal or cream of wheat. All the years I raised my children we only ate out maybe once a month other than that we ate home cooked foods. 

I don't cook full meals often.

When I call out, "Time for supper!" My kids run get in the car....

I had never heard of vindaloo until I watched the British comedy  "RED DWARF".   Remember about 20 years ago.   I'm all about cheesy.   Chicken Vindaloo was the stars favorite meal.  I had to look it up to see what it was.    Deep south cooking.     But then I was grown before I had fried oysters, chinese food and pizza.  Seems impossible, right.   But we didn't eat out at all and Mama wanted her meat  and eggs totally cooked through and through.  :lau

I had fried oysters but not Chinese food or Pizza. I was in Air Force Tech school in Illinois almost 19 years old. There was a food truck that sold mostly pizza and Cokes. The first time it came by the barracks the guys yelled Pizza Pop and took off outside. I couldn't figure out who Pizza Pop was until they came back with Pizza and soda water.

We did not go out to eat either we ate home cooked food. I recall when I saw a cereal commercial and I asked mom if we could have some she thought I had lost my mind. We ate eggs, oatmeal, or malt-o-meal or cream of wheat. All the years I raised my children we only ate out maybe once a month other than that we ate home cooked foods. 

We did eat out, but usually at the little Mexican food cart, or TexMex food cart. So, "mystery meat" with fantastic sauce for amazingly little money. :D

I grew up on everything cornmeal, and cream of wheat for breakfast. Though I still shudder at the time when my mom decided we should have half a grapefruit every morning for breakfast. :sick

I do rememeber that as a kid, I thought bagels were only eaten by either divorced people, or Jewish people. I wasn't sure which. All I knew, was that the only person in the world that ate bagels was a friend of mine, who was Jewish, and who's parents were divorced.

I do rememeber that as a kid, I thought bagels were only eaten by either divorced people, or Jewish people. I wasn't sure which. All I knew, was that the only person in the world that ate bagels was a friend of mine, who was Jewish, and who's parents were divorced.
lau.gif

So, have you tried bagels yet? They're actually quite good, not a balanced breakfast or anything like that but a quick one if you have to hurry out the door. I usually get blueberry or one of the "special edition" bagels that are seasonal. Toasted with a little butter and breakfast is served.

:lau
So, have you tried bagels yet?  They're actually quite good, not a balanced breakfast or anything like that but a quick one if you have to hurry out the door.  I usually get blueberry or one of the "special edition" bagels that are seasonal.  Toasted with a little butter and breakfast is served.

After I got older bagels finally entered Texas grocery stores...and then I traveled to places that had fancy bagel shops...

So yes, I have now eaten bagels, and like them, even though I am not divorced or Jewish. :lol: i like the super garlic bagels best.

It really does give the wording. That's it. Short and sweet.
This is the complete ballot entry from the Secretary of State's website.

Amendment 1
Official Ballot Title:

Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure that the right of Missouri citizens to engage in agricultural production and ranching practices shall not be infringed?
The potential costs or savings to governmental entities are unknown, but likely limited unless the resolution leads to increased litigation costs and/or the loss of federal funding.​
Fair Ballot Language:
A “yes” vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to guarantee the rights of Missourians to engage in farming and ranching practices, subject to any power given to local government under Article VI of the Missouri Constitution.
A “no” vote will not amend the Missouri Constitution regarding farming and ranching.
If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.​

ETA
One of the commercials for the amendment passage has a bunch of people claiming to be farmers and how they produce good food for Missourians.

The commercial opposing a yes vote has another farmer who states that the amendment will allow large Chinese corporations unlimited access to farm in Missouri and the resultant pollution.

The wording is so vague, anything can be true and the entity with the most funds for lawyering up will get to do whatever they want.
Well, that is vague. I think someone should think up a law that states that every law should come with an explanation of it's intent, and examples on how to uphold it.

California actually has a Tree Squirrel season: second Saturday in September extending through the last Sunday in January. The limit is four per day, with four in possession. I once asked Mississippifarmboy if he would send some to me to try (before I discovered if was legal to hunt them here) but he didn't want to buck the "shipping exotic meats across state lines" issue. I have a local friend who grew up in Louisiana and has eaten squirrel who keeps promising to bag some for me. One of The Pub regulars originally from N. Carolina has offered so maybe this Fall I will be able mark this off my Bucket List. Yah, yah, my bucket list is pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom