The Old Folks Home

Try plucking vent feathers rather than trimming. He might not enjoy that irritating stubble.
hmm.png
gig.gif
Your probably right but it is to funny!

Al I thought that a hen can stay fertile for at least 2 weeks from one breeding.
idunno.gif

I resemble that remark, Sour.

Here are some pics.....

Here is a BCM rooster that I bought this weekend. I didn't really like him, but wanted the hen and they were being sold as a pair. He has some color issues, he is old, and he is shaped funny, but he is a big thing. I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but his legs are huge.

Here is the hen that was with him. She is pretty nice and lays decently dark eggs. She laid one in the crate I was keeping her in after I bought the pair at the show.

This little hen was in a sale pen with a Cuckoo Marans rooster and hen. I didn't want the Cuckoos, so I offered $25 for her alone. She was covered in lice and her tail is all but gone. I think with some TLC she will improve greatly.

I had a stroke of luck this past weekend when I went to Newnan, GA for a poultry show. Last night I was having trouble sleeping, so I left my hotel room and went to the lobby where I was on the hotel computer. A man stopped to talk and through the course of the conversation he mentioned that his BCM hen won her class. I asked if she was for sale and he said she wasn't but he had one of her sisters that he would sell me for $30. I said, "I'll take her" sight unseen.

So this morning at the show, he comes to me and says that he knows I'm going to be mad, but his daughter had sold the hen yesterday and hadn't told him. He had also won a couple of categories at the egg show with his Marans' eggs. To make a long story short, I got $80 worth of mahogany colored hatching eggs for $30!!!

The flash really washed them out.... but they are nice, and already in the incubator. The eggs in the back are from my RIR hen, it is a fertility test hatch.

Last edited:
Hey, hope you guys and girls missed me. I'm good and ready to talk a spell.
I've been researching ways to get some income without a lot of outlay and have come across garden bed/ catfish pond. 2' high with a pond liner, about $65. 10x 15 bed with liner stapled to be watertight. The fingerlings are about $.60 ea and you can put over 100 in there. They will be 1# in five months. Freezer for the winter? Put plastic beer cases to float on top and add grow cup hydroponics $.35 ea. Lots of salads and veggies. The produce feeds the fish and the fish waste feed the garden. Win-win.
lau.gif

Wisher, I turned 69 yesterday. Feeling great. Recovering great from loss of Aimee. I'm planning on coming home for a while in a couple of months. I'll be visiting both places. Vancouver Wa and NW Louisiana. I'm going to set up housekeeping in both. It's time I turned my attention back to chickens. I'll be able to get some again. Oh yeah. I have a pithing tool coming next week. It's from Britain where they are the bomb on this. It has a little cap I understand that you put on top of the chicken head. Open mouth and insert rod. Pull lever. Painlessly, killing the bird. It's supposed to let the feathers release naturally. I'll let you know how and if it works.
I've lost nine pounds since Jan 1. No dieting. Nada. Just using the Instant Pot pressure cooker I got myself for Christmas.
gig.gif
It cooks so quickly and keeps all the taste and vitamins. I can make bone broth in one hour. 3# bones, fish, chicken, pork or beef. Water. That's it. I made chicken bone broth for the first time recently and used one cup of the broth as the liquid for my beef stew. The taste was insane. I decided to open a restaurant. True story!! Talking to my daughter Jenny about how much money we could make on this great food, she stopped smiling after a while. Then said "Let's take a ride." So we did ...to the ER. She told them " I'm a nurse and seeing signs of Manic Depressive Disorder with delusions of grandeur. " I smiled and took it. No arguing with the white coats. They had me tested and in therapy in a couple of days. Turns out, yes, I made the decision to bump down my depression medicine to the dose I had it before Aimees suicide. Wrong decision. Shouda waited for the Dr. It made me very happy and enthusiastic and "I'm gonna be rich".
wee.gif
Now, back to normal, I'm not going to be RICH, but the idea is sound and workable and I'm looking into it. Later. Too much on my plate for a while. Besides, who needs money? I'm starting with the catfish pond idea and going from there. If it works, okay.

The food was good at Hooters. Not a fan of much else there
He just wanted to say "Turn in at Hooters to meet me"... I thought we were gonna go off the road laughing so hard!
Had crab legs there, those were good... yeah, not a fan of the rest either...
All this Hooters talk has just inspired me for the next Halloween party... Just gotta find a Hooters outfit for an overweight near-sixty-year-old.... It'll be funny to see who gets it.

Chris Jr. did not want to leave Hooters

Nature or nurture? Hmmmm...... (something tells me it might be in the Bama genes; we'll confirm later with a glitter test)

gig.gif
Your probably right but it is to funny!

Al I thought that a hen can stay fertile for at least 2 weeks from one breeding.
idunno.gif
I had an "Oops" egg hatch out with the wrong roo bloodlines after a month of quarantine. My supposed purebred BLRW that hatched out had feathered legs! (It was a Lt. Brahma with very potent roo goo)

Back
Top Bottom