The Old Folks Home

I see you lurking there!

Okay, lets start a discussion. I have 45 or so chickens and three guineas. I want everything else I see, goats, geese, llamas, donkeys. I am conflicted between my love of my animals and the concessions my family has to make for me to have them. There is the time I must devote to them, the money I spend that could be put elsewhere and the emotional attachment I develope. Is there anyone else who worries that they are not being fair to the rest of the clan?
Not in my case because my partner of 32 years is the one who is instigating our upcoming (this spring, after moving) flock of chickens. She's going to build the coop, run, etc. and do chickens. I'm planning to do rabbits. We both fish...lots. We both garden. She's recently retired, I have been for ten years now, so we're ok with not taking any exotic trips to far away places which would necessitate finding a chicken-sitter.

Good morning all and happy Day Before Turkey Day! We all know that special day where all cooks are racing around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to get preliminary preps done.

What is your most memorable Thanksgiving?

Mine is the one where some of my dad's relation came west from Pennsylvania to spend the holiday with us. There was ample delicious food, everything was perfect. My mother had worked for a week getting things prepared and planned out.

I remember another cousin from my maternal side and her son who was in his late teens was there along with two of my dad's nieces and nephews. All were about ten years younger than myself and all except my maternal cousin were threatened with their lives if they misbehaved. Those young people were so tense you could have played them like a violin. I kept trying to engage them in conversations during the meal with no luck. My maternal cousin tried. No luck.

There were so many people there that we got our own table thank goodness because when I couldn't stand the silence any longer I winked at my maternal cousin and loaded up a spoon with mashed potatoes. He immediately caught on and did the same. We both let go at the same time, he hitting me and me hitting one of my paternal cousins. Yep, you got it, a food fight broke out. Didn't last long but it was glorious and had the desired effect of breaking the ice. We loaded up our plates again and set about talking and eating.

So what was your most memorable Thanksgiving, old and not so old folks?

Always enjoyed Thanksgiving. Uncles, aunts, cousins, brothers and sisters and affiliates would gather at someone's house for the meal. In later years Mom's cooking abilities waned, so I took over the kitchen for her during her turn. There was usually some sort of experimentation with a new dish, sometimes it worked and sometimes not but we didn't really care as it was all about conviviality. Oh, did I mention the traditional eggnog (rocket fuel in proof) that kicked off the holiday season?

One T-Day I hosted up at the ranch and it was a homegrown feast. My tom turkey weighed in at 31 lbs. dressed (my poultry feed formulating experiment was a little too successful) and fit in the oven with just 1/4" to spare. Had to get up at o'dark early to get it stuffed and prepped. Pumpkin pie and green beans were all homegrown, stuffing from homemade bread. Everyone was mandated to take home lots of leftover meat as a bird that size and two people -- me and then-husband -- is an eternity. Lots of takers because, well, who doesn't like truly fresh turkey?

Not in my case because my partner of 32 years is the one who is instigating our upcoming (this spring, after moving) flock of chickens. She's going to build the coop, run, etc. and do chickens. I'm planning to do rabbits. We both fish...lots. We both garden. She's recently retired, I have been for ten years now, so we're ok with not taking any exotic trips to far away places which would necessitate finding a chicken-sitter.
Enjoy retirement!

The last year that Mom & Dad were up and about, they hosted Thanksgiving for the relatives and I came in early to fix the meal. It was a southwestern-themed Thanksgiving with chile pepper powder rubbed turkey stuffed with a chorizo and butternut squash cornbread stuffing, green chile and cheddar laced mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon and pinion nuts, several kinds of gravies and moles, and a few other thematic dishes. Competitive Cousin Joan who considers herself a gourmet cook (she sadly isn't) actually hissed at me (!!) after the meal that it would be an impossible act to follow next year at her turn. Wow.
So love and thanks to my Grams! I'm pretty sure Grandma smiles from above as I duly acknowledge that I not only inherited her voluptuous body (and then some) but also her innate cooking genes.
(photo circa 1917 pre-wedding... fetching, no?)
IMG_2183.JPG

Back
Top Bottom