The Old Folks Home

Good morning Sour, Old Folks.

Dh went to the Dr. yesterday. He's been cleared to go back to work. Dd #1, and I have turned the corner, and the worst is behind us. It wasn't really too bad, when comparing it with how sick we were in Feb.

This Sahara Desert Air (sand/dust) is seriously working on our allergies, and we're not the only ones complaining. It's awful.

I've discovered that Quacker-Sparkles is a fowl snob. He's in the huge dog crate on the screened porch. The chicks I had hatched out, were ready to begin their transition to the coop, so one morning, I put them in a big dog crate right next to his. They check each other out, and began "talking".

Later that afternoon, when it came time for Quacker-Sparkles to enjoy his porch time, he would not come out of the crate. He was perfectly happy in his crate, next to his new buddies, thank you. The next day, I put the chickens in a tote for a minute, so I could take out the soiled tray, and put a clean one in. Quacker-Sparkles got very upset. I put the clean tray in, put the chicks back, and they "talked" about their experience, then settled down. Getting Quacker-Sparkles out of his crate, was not that easy, but I got him out, and set him on the porch. He wanted no part of it. I put his clean tray in, and had the door open, so I could replace his food, water, and bath tub, when he walked right back in, on his own. He wanted nothing to do with anyone, but the chicks.

The entire time the chicks were on the porch, Quacker-Sparkles wanted nothing to do with any of us.

Day before yesterday, I put the chicks out in their section of the coop. About an hour, after that, Quacker-Sparkles suddenly wanted to interact with us again. We're definitely not on his A list.

Dh went to the Dr. yesterday. He's been cleared to go back to work. Dd #1, and I have turned the corner, and the worst is behind us. It wasn't really too bad, when comparing it with how sick we were in Feb.

This Sahara Desert Air (sand/dust) is seriously working on our allergies, and we're not the only ones complaining. It's awful.
Do you know for sure that this second round was covid?

It is nice that your health is getting back to normal!

Allergies are bad here in the summer without the sahara air!

Your grandparents are still alive? Whow, lucky you.
I'm guessing @EverythingDucks is a fair bit younger than some of us Micro ;) Lost my last grandparent in 1991, he was a few weeks shy of 96.

Day before yesterday, I put the chicks out in their section of the coop. About an hour, after that, Quacker-Sparkles suddenly wanted to interact with us again. We're definitely not on his A list.
Sounds like he would love to live with the chicks.

Beets....
My harvests resulted in three sizes: Little ones (prepped these marbles as salad additions), medium ones that were canned/pickled whole, and big ones that were diced and either canned or cooked as a side dish with butter/balsamic reduction sauce.
BUT found a recipe for beet greens that has turned into one of our favorites. So gleaned the beet greens into little leaves for salad, regular unblemished leaves for the sauteed greens, and the rest chopped for the chickens.

BEET GREENS with ORANGE and GINGER

About 10 oz of beet leaves (equivalent to a very full frying pan full)
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. shredded or minced ginger root
1/2 c. orange juice
1 t. orange zest (optional)
salt and pepper to season

Heat butter and olive oil, add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
Add orange juice and zest and reduce the liquid to almost a glaze.
Turn down the heat and add the beet greens, toss as they wilt.
Season with salt and pepper. Place greens in collander to drain off liquid. Serve.

(Note: Any greens can be substituted for the beet greens: Turnip, mustard, kale, chard or spinach. A scattering of 1/3 c. crumbled goat cheese to fancy-up the dish, if desired.)

The random hatch resulted in 6 chicks. The 7th egg pipped, zipped and stalled. Didn't open incubator as a couple of other eggs were mid-pip and I didn't want to shrink wrap. The sad chick instead of lifting up its head dove deep and perished.

Anyway, 2 TJ's yellow chicks, 1 blue olive egger and 1 black olive egger, 1 Black Copper Marans, 1 f2 Olive Egger (3/4 marans). They're now out in the garage brooder.

Spent this morning weeding and planting seeds in the veggie compound. More cukes, replacement corn, some random squashes. I'll put in the bush beans in the next day or two.

Ordered up a vast assortment of critter traps, so against the varmints it's WAR.

Back
Top Bottom