The Old Folks Home

BTW Please folks if you are 50 or thereabouts and your doctor sez you should get a colonoscopy PLEASE DO IT!! I said no and my doctors didn't push the idea. Then lately got a new doctor that wouldn't take NO for an answer. An elaborate test kit arrived and I flunked it, soooooo

I had a colonoscopy today. Wasn't bad at all except for the iv (to put me under). I have very, very small veins and the health workers always make me black & blue trying to dig out a useable one. The nurse today said she would put pressure on it and then it won't bruise. Well it's hours later and I have quite a purple bruise - it is what it is.:confused:

The doctor talked to me afterwards and said I had SEVERAL LARGE Polyps - sure I spelled that wrong but just nervous. The bigger they are, the longer they have been around and growing. If I had agreed when I was 50, I probably wouldn't have this dilemma . She said it will be a week or so before she gets results back from the lab.:oops: I am not expecting miracles.:(

My son (34+) won't go to the doctor, afraid of shots- when he was a toddler had several blood draws and not one peep out of him but later afraid of needles even though he let the dentist give him novacaine :confused:.

I got over my fear of needles & tests when I was pg with him. I was so excited about having a baby (after 2 miscarriages) I even suggested tests I should have done before delivery. Dr.complied.

If I had my life to live over, there are so many changes (for the good) I would make but, you don't get a second chance. Folks please, please try to make the best decisions the first time around.You may not get a second chance.

Last edited:
It has been getting worse, but it never improves no matter how much walking I do. I can be short of breath just from moving one bag of feed.

That is aggravating to say the least and not knowing something is wrong and not knowing what makes matters even worse. 7 years is a long time to live with not knowing.

PS please also do not try to be funny and make remarks that a best friend won't take in the right fashion. G-D has forgiven me but, not this person. If we ever both land in Heaven I am sure this person will push me off the cloud.

I was often the butt of this person's humor and I never gave up the friendship.

I still have a bruise from where they drew blood on me last Tuesday. Older you get the thinner your skin gets. Plus I take aspirin so I bleed easily also which means I bruise a lot.

Amazing how many techno-colors the human body can produce.

DD I'm glad it went well for you today. I was thinking about you yesterday, wondering if you had that test done yet. I know how important a colonoscopy is but have a righteous fear of them after two friends wound up in ICU after having one done. One had the doc nick her spleen causing her to bleed internally. The second had a bleed afterwards. I can't get that out of my head and every time the doctor mentions it I tell him if I am unconscious, then he has my permission but otherwise they are going to have to run me down, hog tie me and drag me in screaming and fighting and I'm pretty scrappy when I have to be. Doc just laughs and tells me he understands. Mom and Dad both had polyps and I've had IBS as long as I can remember.

My brother(youngest of the 3 of us) has had several colonoscopys ??? He has heart disease (had quintuple bypass years ago) diabetes since college _he is 70 now, implanted pacemaker, Defib thing and insulin pump. He just keeps on trucking. Knock on wood!! Looks at everything as a chance to meet & greet new people (nurses, doctors, patients). Wish I had his attitude.

Today had my colonoscopy at Amity Adventist Hinsdale(IL.) Hospital- had my son here when I was 38). I just turned 73 this week.
Got first class treatment every time and especially today with my procedure. I had Medicare A & B. Can't get most things done at doctor's private offices as they will NOT accept Medicare.
Everyone treated me with respect and kindness despite the fact that I am NOT rolling in $$$.

Wish people who can't get good health care where they are would come up here for treatment. They do their best to accommodate folks who don't have good insurance. I am told there are other Adventist Hospitals around the country. Hope folks will give them a try.
They also accept Medicaid (from IL.state) and I guess their other hospitals will accept from the states they are in.

Please don't put off things that can affect your health/life.

Microchick, I know hospitals always have some "oops factor," but thankfully they have treated my brother (there for many health reasons), son(years ago) and me for many years. No major complaints.

My one peeve was when I had my son,first day or so great! THEN a senators daughter had a baby and all the nurses (not kidding) were preoccupied with her. I'm sure hoping her father would reward them handsomely. I was nursing my son and they would forget to bring him to me - they were so busy cooing over HER. Or they would bottle feed him when my doctor gave them explicit orders that I was to nurse him.

My son had a delayed departure because he still had some jaundice and was under double billi lights. So my doctor said I needed to stay a couple days longer - so I could take him home with me. Very thankful for that. I would have been a wreck worrying about him if we had to be separated.

BTW Please folks if you are 50 or thereabouts and your doctor sez you should get a colonoscopy PLEASE DO IT!! I said no and my doctors didn't push the idea. Then lately got a new doctor that wouldn't take NO for an answer. An elaborate test kit arrived and I flunked it, soooooo

I had a colonoscopy today. Wasn't bad at all except for the iv (to put me under). I have very, very small veins and the health workers always make me black & blue trying to dig out a useable one. The nurse today said she would put pressure on it and then it won't bruise. Well it's hours later and I have quite a purple bruise - it is what it is.:confused:

The doctor talked to me afterwards and said I had SEVERAL LARGE Polyps - sure I spelled that wrong but just nervous. The bigger they are, the longer they have been around and growing. If I had agreed when I was 50, I probably wouldn't have this dilemma . She said it will be a week or so before she gets results back from the lab.:oops: I am not expecting miracles.:(

My son (34+) won't go to the doctor, afraid of shots- when he was a toddler had several blood draws and not one peep out of him but later afraid of needles even though he let the dentist give him novacaine :confused:.

I got over my fear of needles & tests when I was pg with him. I was so excited about having a baby (after 2 miscarriages) I even suggested tests I should have done before delivery. Dr.complied.

If I had my life to live over, there are so many changes (for the good) I would make but, you don't get a second chance. Folks please, please try to make the best decisions the first time around.You may not get a second chance.
Yeah, I have had polyps removed. Never any issue with them.

Back
Top Bottom