The Old Folks Home

You mean you don't have all five out at once like the big city dog walkers? I can see it now, Micro with 5 leads on 5 dogs all going in opposite directions.

Nope! They need to work harder so there is less cover!
You can see them plainly now! They made big progress today.

You mean you don't have all five out at once like the big city dog walkers? I can see it now, Micro with 5 leads on 5 dogs all going in opposite directions.

Yeah, we thought about teaching them to pull a wagon or sled for us then we both had that picture flash though our heads and had a second thought that beat the heck out of the first thought. Then we went and bought two prong collars. God bless whoever invented those contraptions is all I can say. They are such powerful dogs that we had visions of hanging onto the leashes with them pulling us belly down through the woods. With the collars, no problems.

We saw a deer yesterday and Diesel ran his leash out to the end. I braced myself and boingggggg. He looked back at me like 'whow, that didn't feel good' and went back to his heel.

Say! I saw a patch of blue sky tonight! First time in a good week's time! Then the high haze moved back in....sigh.

It was so nice this morning when I went out to let the chooks into their runs that it almost felt like spring.

Mother nature can be a cold hearted witch.
She can be a hot mama too!

Whoo hoo, pleasant surprise tonight. A few days ago when candling eggs, I accidentally dropped one, nearly crushing the end where the air was. I was heartbroken, but thought.. well if the membrane is still in tact, it still might hatch. Last night I locked the incubator down for the final 3 days without rotation. I was using my little flashlight to peer inside the incubator when the egg with the damaged egg started moving. Baby inside is still alive and wiggling about!

In the South, collards are a winter crop; some say they aren't good until they've had a frost or two. Personally, I can't say one way or the other. I don't like collards, period (but don't let on I said that, I have Georgia relatives that would disown me if they knew!):oops:
I've heard that with kale also, taste better with a frost. I've ate both with frost, and then ice and snow on them. IMHO they taste the same lol. Collards definitely have a unique flavor unlike other greens I think.
Now turnip and radish greens...why? I don't think they are good at all. When you have collards, kale and swiss chard even beet greens.

Whoo hoo, pleasant surprise tonight. A few days ago when candling eggs, I accidentally dropped one, nearly crushing the end where the air was. I was heartbroken, but thought.. well if the membrane is still in tact, it still might hatch. Last night I locked the incubator down for the final 3 days without rotation. I was using my little flashlight to peer inside the incubator when the egg with the damaged egg started moving. Baby inside is still alive and wiggling about!
I have two 3.5 week old chicks in my brooder right now who came from badly crushed eggs. Both were damaged badly on the pointy end 4 days from their hatch date. I had 5 eggs damaged when the lid flew off of my Brinsea while moving it for lock down. It had never failed before and I traced the problem to the manual turner I had installed and used for the first time.

Two eggs were doa, three still showed movement. I spackled them with candle wax and kept a real close watch on them. One chick expired the next day leaving the two that hatched with a bit of assistance as they were trying to peck through some of the candle wax, but the chicks are living proof that they can survive a damaged shell and hatch.

Back
Top Bottom