The Old Folks Home

Only thing we have here are sales barns. A lot of folks use them to sell off their extra sheep goats and cattle but I would be scared to death to send or buy chickens there although there is a sales barn in Macon that has an exotics auction once a month. Still I wouldn't buy poultry from there without knowing where it is coming from. I have enough problems in my flock without introducing more.

Musical coops. We have all played that game more times than we want to admit. I do it now with my bachelors. It's like, okay, if I leave you in coop A you are going to be a pain in the bum and torment the hens, if I put you in coop B you are going to have to run for your life until you get your place in the pecking order worked out. About the time I hit the soft spot and leave them where they are, they start harassing the hens so I pick them up, toss them in the bachelor pen and tell them to RUN!!!

Chicken math is a real demon. I really don't need to hatch any more chicks but I really need some more Fayoumis....okay, may hatch some...notice I said some which is anywhere from two to 12...to be decided later.

OMG, who's gonna feed all those critters? Don't have to worry about the boys, unless there is one very special they will all go to Tommy. Same guy who's gonna bring me some guinea biddies when they hatch.

I've run into a sort of a problem. The pen I want to use as a grow out pen is otherwise occupied with Sara. She's one of the 18-19 week olds I have.. she's half the size of the other one's her age and from the same sort of hens by a Barred Rock. Those hens have Black Silkies for fathers and she is, we'll call it 'petite' compared to everyone else. I may have to get a bantum for her because all my other roos are monsters in size compared to her. So, that leaves me with putting the chicks in with Bonny the BO and hoping she takes care of them, and hopefully by then, Charlette will be laying and I can put her in with Graystoke and Lady. Really wanted to put her in with Bruce but the two EE's would pick her apart.
You can solve the problem of having fertile eggs very easily! Rooster are not needed for hens to lay eggs. That way they can sit all they want LOL!

Thing about Charlotte and Bonny is, they are both very docile, and even Sara as small as she is picked on them something awful. I could put Charlette in with her mom and dad.. That would add more Cockoo marans to the mix, and line breeding is preferable over sibbling breedings.. sooooooo... hm.. but then mom is a PITA when it comes to sharing her Charlie. Charlie keeps eyeing the gals on the other side of the fence, and when any of them get into the pen where Charlie and Henrietta are, she picks on them. I just want peace.
Prince is doing fantastically well with Mara and Margarette, and the two young ladies get along like peas in a pod. Hard to put anything in with Graystoke and Lady since Lady loves to dominate. Lil bish.

Last edited:
butt butt butt, there's a breeding program going on over here... trying to get the best cross for meat and eggs I can with what I have.
That is the one reason to hatch chicks and have a rooster!

I worked for several years with a local breeder that was determined to use Broodies.

She finally gave up and bought an incubator

That is the one reason to hatch chicks and have a rooster!

I worked for several years with a local breeder that was determined to use Broodies.

She finally gave up and bought an incubator
I have an incubator, that has 6 eggs in it, but thought I would give Bonny a chance to prove her stuff since she's a buff Or Ping Ton. 🐔🐣🐤🐥

Back
Top Bottom