The Old Folks Home

Got my rooster chilling in the spare fridge. I watched about three youtube videos about skinning roosters and went to work. Got him culled, had everything laid out in the barn. Bleeding? Check. Skinning...ummmm. Let's put it this way, I now understand why they say to butcher chickens when they are young. Geesh, what a workout. What took those young strong guys less than ten minutes to do took me an hour of coaxing that hide off that bird but I finally won. I hated having to culled him but I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about being attacked when I go to feed/water/clean him. I kept him alive and going for almost two years blind before he started attacking me so I guess we both had a good run.

It never really warmed up here to as nice as it was yesterday but that is okay. It's March after all.

Last edited:
We have some sad news!

@perchie.girl passed away yesterday 3/4/21. Deb's Cancer had returned and was in much of her Body. She was on hospice for several months.

Her Son and Mom were there when She passed and described it as being peaceful.

1614984976671.png

She did get to have some return to health from her back problems and beating the first round of Cancer. She even got to enjoy chickens again!

Last edited:
Do you have some rooster booster to give them?
Hootie is doing great, but Cinnabuns is still droopy. I've added egg yolk and Sublingual B Vitamins to the sugar water. I do see her up at times, but she's wobbly. She mostly sleeps. I may just let her decide at this point in time. Doesn't appear to have 'will'.

Thank you @ronott1 for passing on that bad/sad news.

I will miss Perchie. Although I only knew her from here at the Home, I sensed a strength and perseverance in her that I don't even think she knew she possessed. She has been on my mind lately, wondering how she was doing and at least we now know that she is at peace and her battle is over.

Rest in peace dear lady, you will be and have been missed.

Thank you @penny1960. Yes, it wasn't an easy decision to make but now I know how to do it and have 3 or 4 more birds with only one good eye that I need to put in the freezer. I don't have too much freezer space right now so my plan is to do one a week and immediately crock pot them for the dogs before fly season sets in.

I know realistically I cannot keep all the roosters that I have but the heart always argues with the head.

Plus like everything else the price of feed is going up What cost me 40 dollars a month to 50 is now 70 to 100 dollars. So less mouths to feed will make the food bill a little easier to tolerate.

Her Son and Grandma
Her son and HIS Grandma, Deb's mother. Her Grandma died at the ripe old age of 104 (IIRC). Deb spent 13 years living at her grandmother's taking care of her, never thought it would be for that long. When she passed Deb was free to go back to her beloved home in the desert. So sad she only got halfway done making that possible before the cancer returned. She was a special lady.

Her son and HIS Grandma, Deb's mother. Her Grandma died at the ripe old age of 104 (IIRC). Deb spent 13 years living at her grandmother's taking care of her, never thought it would be for that long. When she passed Deb was free to go back to her beloved home in the desert. So sad she only got halfway done making that possible before the cancer returned. She was a special lady.
Thanks! I edited the post

Back
Top Bottom