The Old Folks Home

You would think our covid numbers would be off the charts, but the opposite is true. We are the 11th lowest state with covid cases, and deaths.
According to globalepidemics.org (Damn things in this box's menu bar still don't work!!!!)
https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/
Florida is #11 from the TOP not the bottom. 7 day moving average is 25.2 cases per day per 100K people, 5,419 new cases per day. Texas is #8 with 25.6 and 7,410. I wonder if they'll move up the chart in a couple of weeks.

When you ask is this safe if I take this medicine or have this condition and they say, I don't know.
You are special Micro, in more than one way ;) You've got tons of medical problems that have to be considered.

New Mexico has a very interesting way to parcel out Covid vaccine. You're divided up into tiers according to occupation, age and infirmities. Then when vaccine comes in it's a first come/first served to those that answer the email blasts. Local news revealed they send out 5x more invitations than vaccine available in order to fill all the slots. (And yet, strangely, only 90% of our vaccine is being distributed.) I received an email, logged in, and found out that my answering in 4 minutes was not fast enough and the event was full. This happened multiple times except for the time I could have a slot if I was at the location in 13 minutes...I lived half an hour away, needed to still fill out an on-line med questionnaire AND get out of my pajamas. There has to be a better way, e.g., giving a designated time/place to be there vs. this scrambling lottery. I mean, there's under 3 million in the whole state so logistics cannot be that hard. (The whole procedure affronts my very organized mindset.)

At long last on Thursday after much gyrations with NM's Covid scheduling protocol, Yours Truly secured a vaccination. Could it be in this village and at the drive-thru site two blocks down the street? Noooo. At the far outreaches of the county way past the neighboring town. It was a trek to a lone Walgreen's in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, it felt like venturing to the cantina in "From Dusk 'til Dawn" as there was not a thing around but sand and scrub, and some very weird denizens inside....like the middle-aged guy wandering the aisles in his zombie pj's and the old folks propped up against the wall such that you did a double-take to make sure they were still breathing. Anyway, got the shot and -- due to lack of seating -- was told to wander the store for 15 minutes with the caveat "If you feel faint, just sit down and start yelling." Thankfully, had no problems and found some great laundry detergent clearance bargains (name brand @ $1 for 25 wash size), so not a wasted excursion.

Went home and felt a little fatigued, so ended up with a 3-hour nap and then an early bedtime after dinner. Awoke the yesterday feeling better than I have in ages. Wow! Full of pep and energy and got a lot accomplished during daylight hours. Today, not so much. Maybe a delayed reaction? I dunno...

Of the 52 eggs set, only 3 made it to lockdown. Hope to see chicks Tuesday (2 Marans, 1 mixed.) None of the Trader Joe's fertile eggs were viable. I've got two other waves of eggs in the incubator, but I'm sort of feeling my roo's fertility is waning. That or he's not covering everybody in the coop.

Things are getting Spring-y on the farm, so very busy with pruning and planting as much as my knees allow. Today is putting in beets, radishes and peas. DH is going to retire at the end of April, so it'll be nice to have some extra help.
Sorry you had a poor hatch!

Ahhhh thanks Bruce. I don't know which happened first, either they made me and broke the mold or they broke the mold and then made me.

All I know is that I've been through too much to take chances.

We started the Spring Tradition today. DH sharpened up the chain saw, cranked up the tractor and he dropped our first tree of the season. After we loaded one tractor bucket full DH and I looked at one another and admitted we were really tired and headed back to the house. Like usual winter is almost over and we realize the damage sitting around the house for three months does to our muscle tone.

But! I saw two robins! The first boys are here!

But! I saw two robins! The first boys are here!
6a00d8341bffd953ef01a3fcdcdd2f970b-600wi.jpg
the-first-robin-of-spring-awww-not-quite-yet-hugs-15511693.png

Bruce, the Orlando Sentinal did an expose awhile back about how over 55 labs were skewing, and inflating the numbers. Our Governor investigated, and confirmed it was happening, but it's still happening. Something to do with the way the CDC demands our state list all people tested as positive without being able to remove the ones that the results come back negative.

Here, those that have recovered, are tested for antigen/antibodies to make a serum for those at high risk, and can't get, or can't take the vaccine. They don't have covid, and have completely recovered, but the labs are reporting the antigen/antibody tests as positive cases, along with the regular tests. This almost doubles the actual number of real cases. Let's not forget tourists that come here, bringing it with them. We get plenty of tourists, (Disney World, Sea World, Busch Gardens, etc.), and their numbers are included in our state totals, instead of being included in their own state totals.

They're trying to say that the hospitals are full too. That's only partially true. Our hospitals were full before covid even existed. It's not covid that's filling them. Another thing being left out is that Florida has more retirees/elderly than just about any other state. We used to joke that the minute anyone in the country turned 65, and didn't voluntarily move to Florida, the Florida retirement police would go get them, and drag them here. That means we have a much higher percentage of older people/elderly, so much more of the population in our state is at higher risk.

Careful about believing all the hype. No one is saying to be careless, but paranoia is not called for either.

Good morning, all.
Nope where my better half did
That's a likely story.
The amazing thing about Covid is it miraculously wiped out the flu and pneumonia this past year.
and the common cold. We've been masking and social distancing for more than a year now , and have not had a cold in that period of time.

Back
Top Bottom