The Old Folks Home

We did get ours.. No problems for the three of us.. Morning Old Folks ..

Bf thinks he was a bit yuk yesterday (We got it Friday).
I am a bit tired now but then again I have been up and down a ladder installing a new ductless mini split.

I did get the electrical connections figured out. I almost had the inside up but have to move it up higher-- there is a stud in the way of the piping where I wanted to put it so have to move over two inches!

Happy Sunday everyone. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy.

This past week has been warp 9 busy for me. So sorry I haven't checked in a time or 7. Spent two days working on the garden getting it tilled and ready to be planted. Day three I planted one row of potatoes that were ready to go into the ground along with a row of lettuce and a row of spinach. While we were working on that we were harvesting wood and splitting wood. Then our diabetic kitty Johnny Cash decided after almost a month of his blood sugars running high, decided to do a crash and burn. We spent over a day trying to get his blood sugars up only to have them crash again. Then he decided that he didn't want to eat his special diet cat food thank you very much have a nice day. Not good with blood sugars in the low 40s. So we spent 36 hours shoving tuna under his nose which he eagerly gobbled up. When you are a 21 year old cat, if you want tuna and chopped turkey to eat, by golly you get it!

He's doing better now but at 21 and feline, every day above ground is a good day.

On top of that, with everything going on I've reached the hard decision not to hatch any chicks this spring. I have almost 50 birds, one hen who has water belly and two half blind roosters that the younger birds keep beating up...and a partridge in a pear tree. Plus my joints are acting up and I just don't need any more projects aka work to do.

Maybe next year but I needed to take a break from cute little spring fuzzy butts everywhere I turned or I was going to cave and frankly, I'm tired.

Then like icing to the cake, here is a picture of our peach trees.

IMG_2794.JPG

They are solid blossoms and I've been dreaming of peach preserves and plotting a war plan to keep the fruit out of the hands and mouths of the local raccoons and deer.

Then there are the blue bells coming up in the yard near the orchard...which also has apple and pear trees blooming.

IMG_2795.JPG

And finally our forecast for the first part of next week:

Monday Night
A chance of rain before 1am, then rain and snow likely between 1am and 4am, then snow after 4am. Low around 32. North wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Tuesday
Snow, possibly mixed with rain before 2pm, then a chance of rain. High near 43. North wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 26.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 29.

I am not amused......Oh well, the definition of a farmer is an individual who sits up all night trying to save a sick calf only to have the calf die and with a tortured sigh the farmer says, 'maybe next year'.

I told my husband. Maybe in two years when they have their next heavy bloom cycle but with our weather? I ain't holding my breath. We haven't had a peach crop in over 4 years thanks to the weather.

There is always Smuckers I guess.

Happy Sunday everyone. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy.

This past week has been warp 9 busy for me. So sorry I haven't checked in a time or 7. Spent two days working on the garden getting it tilled and ready to be planted. Day three I planted one row of potatoes that were ready to go into the ground along with a row of lettuce and a row of spinach. While we were working on that we were harvesting wood and splitting wood. Then our diabetic kitty Johnny Cash decided after almost a month of his blood sugars running high, decided to do a crash and burn. We spent over a day trying to get his blood sugars up only to have them crash again. Then he decided that he didn't want to eat his special diet cat food thank you very much have a nice day. Not good with blood sugars in the low 40s. So we spent 36 hours shoving tuna under his nose which he eagerly gobbled up. When you are a 21 year old cat, if you want tuna and chopped turkey to eat, by golly you get it!

He's doing better now but at 21 and feline, every day above ground is a good day.

On top of that, with everything going on I've reached the hard decision not to hatch any chicks this spring. I have almost 50 birds, one hen who has water belly and two half blind roosters that the younger birds keep beating up...and a partridge in a pear tree. Plus my joints are acting up and I just don't need any more projects aka work to do.

Maybe next year but I needed to take a break from cute little spring fuzzy butts everywhere I turned or I was going to cave and frankly, I'm tired.

Then like icing to the cake, here is a picture of our peach trees.

View attachment 2623617

They are solid blossoms and I've been dreaming of peach preserves and plotting a war plan to keep the fruit out of the hands and mouths of the local raccoons and deer.

Then there are the blue bells coming up in the yard near the orchard...which also has apple and pear trees blooming.

View attachment 2623621

And finally our forecast for the first part of next week:

Monday Night
A chance of rain before 1am, then rain and snow likely between 1am and 4am, then snow after 4am. Low around 32. North wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Tuesday
Snow, possibly mixed with rain before 2pm, then a chance of rain. High near 43. North wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 26.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 29.

I am not amused......Oh well, the definition of a farmer is an individual who sits up all night trying to save a sick calf only to have the calf die and with a tortured sigh the farmer says, 'maybe next year'.

I told my husband. Maybe in two years when they have their next heavy bloom cycle but with our weather? I ain't holding my breath. We haven't had a peach crop in over 4 years thanks to the weather.

There is always Smuckers I guess.
The late frost last year did a number on everything. Hopefully this year we get some pears.

Last year we had apples apples and more apples. No peaches as it was an off year for them so I was looking forward to a bumper crop.

Our Asian Pears didn't do so well. We are down to two trees thanks to fire blight. One has a lot of blossoms on it but with three nights of sub freezing temps I doubt if it will produce anything.

I told my husband today that I guess we just enjoy them as ornamentals this year. Problem is that we have had late freezes or frosts the past 4 years. Last frost for us is supposed to be the first of April. Guess nobody taught mother nature how to read a calendar. Then there was the year that I checked the peaches before I went to bed and decided I would pick them the next day and let them finish ripening off the tree because I didn't want the varmints to get the fruit. The peaches had just a little give to them so I thought I was safe.

Until I went out that morning and discovered every peach gone and all the pits lying on the ground in tidy little piles. Danged raccoons!

OMG OMG OMG... I got a real, for real broody... Margaret growled at me this morning from her nest when I walked in the pen... She's there all floofed out.. I added 4 eggs from her mother and aunts on my way back past her pen. Slowly adding one egg at a time beside her.. opps, where did it go... another one... it's gone... she's tucked those four eggs under her nicely and is very floofed. My EE hen gave up on her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom