The Old Folks Home

Oh my goodness, I'm in such a tizzy this morning! Went out to feed, and muffins was just leaving the broody nest where Snowflake has been sitting.. and there was a CHICK!! I ran into the house for the camera but by the time (less than a minute) I got back out there, baby was snuggled up under Snowflake... I did glimps a second baby under her when she was 'rearranging'.. and there's another egg that has pipped. Muffins is back on the nest with Snowflake doing her best to 'help' keep that huge pile of eggs warm.. Looks like she's going broody just as eggs start to hatch.. which can't be all that bad since she and Lady have been adding to the pile daily (lucky Snowflake, ha!) So hopefully while Snowflake is tending to the newly hatched eggs and leaves the nest with them.. Muffins can keep the rest warm until they hatch.. this is going to be one massive staggered affair. I'm downloading pics I already have.

You should mark the eggs... or the staggard hatching will go on for months.

I am sorry to hear this!

Did she have another stroke?
Thank you! And no, she didn’t that they could see (they checked) but she just kind of regressed I guess and stopped wanting to talk, stopped eating, wasn’t cooperating, etc. and my dad decided to put her in hospice after talking lots with people. I posted a little more detail here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-nfc-b-day-chat-thread.1050266/post-24427215

I know I should retype it but it’s just a lot and kinda fresh so apologies :oops:

I know I should retype it but it’s just a lot and kinda fresh so apologies
Nope, a link is better than the same info typed in again.

Planning lasagna for supper.
We are having that tonight ... left over from Friday.

I was outside weeding the strawberry bed
I need to plant mine!

now my only little bantam Cochin left has decided she needs to hatch babies! She’s been glued to the nest for days!
Nuit has decided to be broody. I keep telling her "Wait a few weeks, the chicks won't be here until early June!!!" In the meantime I have been taking her out of the nest box in the afternoons (so far she comes out in the morning) and put her on the roost at night. Last night that was a no go. Even though it was pretty dark she got down and went straight back to the box twice so I left her there. I was surprised when she came out of the barn with the others this morning. I guess tonight I have to go out when it is REALLY dark so she can't see to get off the roost.

Now the question is ... can I hold her off until it is almost time for the chicks from Meyer and will she accept being put into the brooding area for some days prior? I tried that with Anais last time and NO WAY was she not going to be in the nest she wanted. But it is 2' off the ground, not the best place for new chicks.

Nope, a link is better than the same info typed in again.

We are having that tonight ... left over from Friday.

I need to plant mine!

Nuit has decided to be broody. I keep telling her "Wait a few weeks, the chicks won't be here until early June!!!" In the meantime I have been taking her out of the nest box in the afternoons (so far she comes out in the morning) and put her on the roost at night. Last night that was a no go. Even though it was pretty dark she got down and went straight back to the box twice so I left her there. I was surprised when she came out of the barn with the others this morning. I guess tonight I have to go out when it is REALLY dark so she can't see to get off the roost.

Now the question is ... can I hold her off until it is almost time for the chicks from Meyer and will she accept being put into the brooding area for some days prior? I tried that with Anais last time and NO WAY was she not going to be in the nest she wanted. But it is 2' off the ground, not the best place for new chicks.
Good to know! Thanks! Didn’t really wanna retype it anyway 😂🤣

And hopefully she accepts it!! Can you maybe put some sort of barrier in the front of the box if not? To keep them from falling?

Back
Top Bottom