The Old Folks Home

I remember dad made dandelion wine once. I'm not sure but I think he used the whole flower.. He also made plum wine the one year our tree made fruit. Damascus plums need a male and female tree to produce. But.. dad pitted the plums, then put the rest into a sausage grinder, added water and yeast. It wasn't 'working' so he added some sugar, just before going to Chicago to take photos of some building there.. wellllllllll, it started working really well while he was gone.. plum skin got stuck in the hose, pressure backed up and eventually the hose popped out of the water spraying plum skins all over the walls of the fruit cellar. Mom was really peased.. Dad had to clean not only the walls with a putty knife, but all the jars of canned beans, tomatoes, etc when he got home.

I remember dad made dandelion wine once. I'm not sure but I think he used the whole flower.. He also made plum wine the one year our tree made fruit. Damascus plums need a male and female tree to produce. But.. dad pitted the plums, then put the rest into a sausage grinder, added water and yeast. It wasn't 'working' so he added some sugar, just before going to Chicago to take photos of some building there.. wellllllllll, it started working really well while he was gone.. plum skin got stuck in the hose, pressure backed up and eventually the hose popped out of the water spraying plum skins all over the walls of the fruit cellar. Mom was really peased.. Dad had to clean not only the walls with a putty knife, but all the jars of canned beans, tomatoes, etc when he got home.
Done something similar. Before we moved to our house so over ten yrs ago. Making my first batch of Russian Imperial Stout beer. Worked second shift and prob didn't start early enough beer have to boil a hr. And the yeast isn't as forgiving as wine yeast, kinda like incubating chicken eggs and keeping incubator where there is little temp change same with beer. I usually don't pitch the yeast until it cools down to 70*, this batch even though I stuck the boiling pot into bathtub full of cold water with two liter soda bottles of ice for awhile and added cold water to the batch to get 5 gals, it only dropped to 90*, I had to go to work close enough.
Back before we had cell phones so I didn't know till I got home that night.
DW was not happy Lol... Blew the top off it and sticky crap running all over counter and down over cupboard doors and onto floor non stop ...
I had to take the airlock apart and put a hose on it into a half gallon container with some water in it to contain it. Blow off fermentation. It was a mess when I got home and she not happy :oops::lau

Morning sourland and OF.. Raining cats and dogs here again.. poor chickens are gonna float away if it keeps up.
The egg I found under the nest after the snake attack hatched yesterday. Went in to make dinner a bit early and cheep cheep cheep... Cutest little bugger. Has some Bielefelder coloring with a beard and feathered legs. My two EE's are in with the Bielefelder hen and roo.. hoping for bigger eggs from the offspring and then I'll put the hens from that mix in with my EE cockerels when they are old enough... hoping for BIG BLUE EGGS.

eventually the hose popped out of the water spraying plum skins all over the walls of the fruit cellar.
My parents made wine a couple of times with their grapes. More than one bottle blew off its cork and stained the closet ceiling where it was stored.

My stepdad had to put the bottles in a big sauce pan to catch the overflow when he opened them.

I've only made kombucha. I used to sell a couple bottles to a woman at work. One time she for got to take them home for a week. The bottle tops (plastic thread twist type) were convex, there was so much pressure! She opened them in the sink at work, and about half the contents over flowed.

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
It's RAININNNNGGGGGG Again! LOL.. good thing I got as much mowing done as I did yesterday.. At least I don't have to water the garden... Corn is as tall as I am now, and has tasseled.
Yesterday's 1 egg hatch... second should be soon, close to internal pipping.
How about a Beilefelder EE with full beard and leg feathering?
20210512_092236.jpg

Back
Top Bottom