The Old Folks Home

102 today. Supposed to be 106 tommorow! This is crazy! Scary. Only June. Going on untill Friday. Saturday finally brlie three digit weather. Still..mid to high 90's.
Yes, I am worried about how this heat will impact crops and fire risks, and water shortages.

102 today. Supposed to be 106 tommorow! This is crazy! Scary. Only June. Going on untill Friday. Saturday finally brlie three digit weather. Still..mid to high 90's.
We are in the same pattern but will be 110F or more on one of the days.

There was a thread a few years back here on BYC I think talking about the 'bucket of death' as a mouse and rat deterrent.

I have never set one up but last year I got a good idea of how they work. Our barn is between the house and my chicken coop and I have a stock tank sitting by the barn that catches rain water for me.

Last year, on my way to the coop I decided to take a jug of water with me and veered off to the stock tank and right before I dipped the jug in the water, I looked up, gasped and jumped back. There was a BIG rat floating quite dead in the stock tank. The water level had dropped a few inches from the rim and it was obvious that the rat had tried to get himself a drink, lost his footing, fell in and once in couldn't get out.

I've also had mice off themselves in my water bowls using the same theory. Personally, I've seen mice that I've been chasing down with my wackamouse stick jump into one of the big dog water dishes that I use and not be able to jump back out.

Okay, sounds a bit ghoulish and I do apologize, but out of curiosity I've watched to see if these victims have a quick death and yes they do. It's amazing really. They paddle around madly as expected for about 15 seconds, slow, then by the 30 second mark, they bob up and down a couple of times and then sink like rocks and expire.

Do they exhaust themselves? Do they suffer shock from the cold water and expire? Any ideas?

But after seeing this happen a couple of times I do understand how the bucketodeath works. Rodents they say do not have any depth perception which is why the water filled bucket works.

Okay, rambled on long enough. Hi everyone. Had an incredible busy three days. We got the fill in/excavating job done on the lagoon. Seed sowed and strawed down. Then naturally it stops raining. GRRRRRR. So we get the fence back up, work on the security, mow and turned the dogs loose. We could tell that they were bewildered by the 'new' ground they were running on instead of splashing through and my dear husband did an amazing job of shoving dirt around using the bucket on our Mahindra tractor. After the neighbor who volunteered to help didn't show up after almost 10 days of waiting, he said enough and did the job himself. I'm so proud of him.

This fall we are going to plant a tree in Sidney's memory on the spot where the lagoon used to be. Hopefully her brothers and sister will enjoy its shade for years to come.
I believe they exhaust themselves and drown.
Screenshot_20210615-143814_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom