The Old Folks Home

Hi everyone.

At this point in time I don't know how many days we have been back in the timber harvesting wood. I also think I've lost track of how many buckets of rounds DH has hauled up to the barn. I'm to the point today where I told him that if I didn't get out of the woods I wasn't going to be responsible for my behavior. The breeze that was blowing on the pasture wasn't reaching the ridge we were working on. While it was cooler in the timber, he was getting blow back from the tractor motor so we were both pretty miserable.

Temps continue to be hot here. Tomorrow it's supposed to be up near 100. A tarp that I ordered arrived today and I'll have to put it up this afternoon to give the chickens some shade. Next week they are calling for temps in the mid 70s.

It'll be almost spring like here....oh wait, it is spring.

@Cynthia12, your new furbaby is adorable! Nothing sweeter than a sleeping puppy unless it is a sleeping baby.
Today we are predicted to break the temp record from 1961 at 110F. Tomorrow we break a record from 1917.

The normal high for today is 89F. Some are saying this might be our new normal. There is a prediction that our temps will be similar to the current temps in Arizona...of course temps in Arizona are supposed to go up too.

Note to self: do not move to Arizona at retirement

Too Hot.jpg

I eat a lot of chicken and poultry in general but DH doesn't care for it unless I'm able to camouflage it a lot.

I try to buy lean loin cuts of both beef and pork and frankly I like pork more than beef.

I read the other day that chicken prices are skyrocketing also. There are times where I go out to feed the bachelors and grumble about them but like the other day I told DH that the way meat prices are going we may be enjoying slow cooked rooster meat in the future. So I keep shoving the food at them so they stay nice and plump.

Here they think I'm just being generous to them, :lol:
The historic cheap cuts of meat like brisket, Flank steak and etc. Are now expensive. Round and chuck are now the lowest per pound.

I try to stay with the lower cost cuts. I bought two eye of the round roasts from costco last week and convection baked one of them. It was a little tough but tasted very good!

Sliced thin, it makes a very good sandwich. I roasted it to 135F internal temp.

@ronott1 we did our first Speed Bike Challenge at the Nissan test track south of Casa Grande AZ in 06 about this time of the year. In fact I believe we drove back on the 4th of July. Summer there makes our hot weather look mild in comparison. So I can appreciate the temperatures y'all are suffering there. Our poor rider was from England. It was a bit of culture shock for him.

I've been buying Keystone canned meat in the big cans. I think I've been paying 6.95 a can at Walmart. One can makes up enough barbeque for a lot of lunches for us.

The meat prices here haven't caused me any real alarm. They are up some but I got two top sirloin steaks for under 15$ last week from the local HyVee. I can get two or three meals out of each steak depending on how I cut them and what I use them for so it comes out pretty reasonable.

It all makes a body more conscious of what a serving size really means and sticking to it.

First of the week I got really excited when I read that Costco was opening a new store in Missouri. Since the nearest here are KC or Columbia I thought Oh BOY they are going to put one in the northern part of the state. Nope. Springfield.

@ronott1 we did our first Speed Bike Challenge at the Nissan test track south of Casa Grande AZ in 06 about this time of the year. In fact I believe we drove back on the 4th of July. Summer there makes our hot weather look mild in comparison. So I can appreciate the temperatures y'all are suffering there. Our poor rider was from England. It was a bit of culture shock for him.

I've been buying Keystone canned meat in the big cans. I think I've been paying 6.95 a can at Walmart. One can makes up enough barbeque for a lot of lunches for us.

The meat prices here haven't caused me any real alarm. They are up some but I got two top sirloin steaks for under 15$ last week from the local HyVee. I can get two or three meals out of each steak depending on how I cut them and what I use them for so it comes out pretty reasonable.

It all makes a body more conscious of what a serving size really means and sticking to it.

First of the week I got really excited when I read that Costco was opening a new store in Missouri. Since the nearest here are KC or Columbia I thought Oh BOY they are going to put one in the northern part of the state. Nope. Springfield.
Thanks for the tip on the canned meat!

I need to see if our walmart carries it.

People often do not understand how much water our bodies lose in high heat with low humidity especially coming from other climates.

Try Walmart.com, @ronott1

I just got a couple cans of pork and a big can of chicken delivered today. Lehmans.com also carries it but I haven't checked there lately for prices. You can also buy it direct from the company but they have been 'out of stock' a lot lately.
Thanks!

we got 1/2 beef cow in Oct. last year and another in Feb. from local farmer. It worked out to be about $5 per pound. grass fed/butchered and packaged. Will continue to do that---grocery was limiting purchases and the quality of this beef is exceptional
If this pandemic has taught us one thing its- new ways off doing things-better ways then before. AND we should support USA businesses!!!

Back
Top Bottom