The Old Folks Home

It's the same here, silver. When we had the fox that was raising her kits off of the local flocks (except mine) and I called conservation asking them if they would come and trap her and her kits. Nope, they said. Can't outfox a fox. Their advice. SHOT THEM!

I didn't, I have to admit. She was a beautiful animal. They eventually moved on but I did here a lot of early morning rifle shots a few months later.;)

Hey @CSolis. How is Jay Baby doing?

My garden was checking to see if a deer has been wandering by didn't expect that.
image.png

Yup, late start here too. Hubby went to work at 11 pm last night for an overnight shift -- not his usual time. But this way, he can have the place to himself, and it's cooler. He got his stuff done in about 5 hours, came home, and is zonked out on the couch. He is such a hard worker. And his employer knows he's lucky to have him work there. Being appreciated makes a big difference.

My husband is one of those rare men that actually remembers all the important dates, like birthdays, and anniversaries. He's memorized them all. He puts me to shame, because I have few of them memorized, and have to look at my calendar.

A couple nights ago, he announced that we were all going out to eat. Everyone got ready, and off we went. While we were sitting at the table, he told everyone it was my birthday dinner. I said "no it's not".

Yesterday, I got a birthday card with a nice check in it, from his mother. I pondered that it was early, but didn't say anything.

Last night, at midnight, my husband gathered everyone around, and told them to wish me a Happy Birthday, since it was my birthday. I looked at him, and said "no it's not".
He looked at me like I had lost my mind. "Yes, it's past midnight, so it's your birthday", he said. "No, it's not", I replied. Determined to prove me wrong (seriously?) he checked the calendar on his computer.

"Oh crap. I wasted all that money taking us out for your birthday dinner, and I have to spend more money, and do it all over again next month", he said. "Yes you do", I replied.

Hey @CSolis. How is Jay Baby doing?
Morning OF... Got a bit busy this morning. Got the front 40 knocked down with the Remington before it got too hot out, then worked on the back of the chicken free ranging area where I caught up the bottom wire in the hub of the weedeater (Remington) and tore just about all of it off the posts plus pulled some posts up with it. :clap Well done, Grace! So I had to repair the fence and clean off all the wire from the hub of the weed eater, so much fun! Got that done, came in and cooled off a bit, then went out to feed and water the kids and let some out to free range. Found the wire mesh had come loose from the staples in the hen house where Bruce and his ladies are, sooooo, had to cut it loose from the one end still stapled and cut boards to use for flooring there. I had used the mesh so there would be adequate ventilation in there during summer months. A thick layer of hay in the winter still keeps in cozy even if they don't spend much time in there. Maggie and Sweatpea have been in there since they started to molt.. Bruce doesn't know when not to.... breed.

So, with all that done I can answer @microchick . Baby Jay is a hoot. He's doing really well after coming in a few weeks ago with a drooping wing. I kept him in another week since he wasn't much interested in going out. Must have been in an aerial battle for territory or something. Then the second week he gradually started going out for short periods of time. The time he was out gradually increased as he regained his confidence but always returns 'home' to roost at night.

Day before yesterday he came in and his wing was perfectly fixed. No more drooping at all. Must have knocked his shoulder or something back in place somehow. But, he was especially clingy after coming in for the evening. He wouldn't leave me alone. On my head, or shoulder, or hand.. playing up a storm. If I'm playing a game on the computer he sits on my finger and pecks at the mouse. Makes playing really difficult at best.

Last night I laughed as he tore a napkin to shreds and tried stuffing it in my blouse. He gets into anything and everything constantly. Why can't he just sit still for two minutes? It's fun watching him chase flies and catching them now. Look Ma, I caught something! Still bathing in Gator's water dish and goes there when he's thirsty. I leave a pile of food on a chest for him to pick through, along with a dish of moisten kitty food. He likes the meal worms and cat food the best. Still hasn't figured out sunflower seeds are for eating, not hiding.

Hi all! Been off-line for many weeks dealing with various aspects of Life.

The garden in full swing with a great fruit crop and ample chard, peppers, a tomato hedge, eggplant. Then we had the monsoon and our little section of Eden had a red cell parked over it that dumped 2.5" of water and dime-sized hail in 45 minutes. My chard bed turned rather lacy, the peppers had big holes punched into them, the tomato hedge was reduced from 4-foot tall to 2-foot tall with the tomatoes so cobbled by hail they looked like golf balls. Anyway, everything in the veggie compound got shredded to tatters, so there's been a major cleanup in pulling the plug therein. Then we noticed that the fruit crop suffered, too. Big black holes in the pears, pitted peaches. Sigh.... Well, doors close and windows open. We're going to bag the veggie compound and put the beds to bed and focus on getting the art studio up and running.

DH has recently retired, so may let him do the gardening as a hobby for him. At his physical his doctor commented on how much his health had improved over last year and the only thing DH could attribute it to was helping me out in the yard. Doc said "Keep at it!" and DH now into overdrive....which is great as my enthusiams definitely waned with the last go-round with Mother Nature. Spent A LOT of effort varmint-proofing my crops only to have the weather take them out. Sigh...

But all is not dreary. We have a new dog! We decided to foster and listed ourselves as "Foster with intent to fail" (and we did.) I pulled a few strings to pick out the greyhound we wanted (well, actually, he was our second pick as the first one had "issues" and wasn't ready to leave the kennel) and -- OMG -- what an absolute gem he is. DH went to Dallas to pick him up, bonded over the ride back and before he even got home proclaimed "This dog isn't going anywhere and we're keeping him."

And thusly begins an adventure with a know-nothing dog (luckily, you can teach an old dog new tricks and house-training took about two days) who has decided he REALLY likes it here and the people therein.

Meet our Guinness...
I see Robert.jpg

Back
Top Bottom