The Old Folks Home

how many of you have bought eggs on line? I've looking at doing that I know it's a gamble, I'm looking at cost. Price per egg I guess would depend on the breed,
I bought expensive, SOP BA eggs online, they were packed beautifully, in the good foam shippers. They scrambled, and 1 broke. None hatched. Dd #2 ordered a dozen cheap eggs. Hers were packed in the bottom half of an egg carton, with shredded paper. They were fine, and all hatched.

We figured out part of the problem. I live in the country, with fairly long dirt/gravel/shell driveways. By the time they got to me, they had bounced around so much, they were scrambled beyond hope. She lives in the city. Nice smooth paved roads, no bumping around much, so they were fine, even when the packing was lousy. Either have them shipped to someone you know that lives in the city, OR have them hold them at the post office for you.

I bought expensive, SOP BA eggs online, they were packed beautifully, in the good foam shippers. They scrambled, and 1 broke. None hatched. Dd #2 ordered a dozen cheap eggs. Hers were packed in the bottom half of an egg carton, with shredded paper. They were fine, and all hatched.

We figured out part of the problem. I live in the country, with fairly long dirt/gravel/shell driveways. By the time they got to me, they had bounced around so much, they were scrambled beyond hope. She lives in the city. Nice smooth paved roads, no bumping around much, so they were fine, even when the packing was lousy. Either have them shipped to someone you know that lives in the city, OR have them hold them at the post office for you.
Also, when I was hatching..I mean hatching..often.. 😁. I found out where to buy from. Seriously, it matters where they come from..to your direction. And, that will be different for everyone. I figured out the Midwest states, the back east states, and west states that always shipped best for me, and of course, those that packed well because I did repeat buy every couple of years for good layers.

Many states, especially Michigan were reporting about equal numbers of positive cases, between vaccinated, and unvaccinated, requiring hospitalization, and deaths. The cases involving vaccinated patients were called breakthrough cases. When the numbers began coming in showing that the vaccinated were still as high a risk as those that were not vaccinated, the CDC stopped the reporting of breakthrough cases. Now, everyone that gets covid is being reported as unvaccinated, whether they got vaccinated, or not.

A better alternative to the vaccine, which has been being thoroughly documented, is Regeneron, the antibody treatment. It works better, as a preventative prior to getting covid, for those that don't get it as a preventative, it works if given soon after a person has contracted covid, it works against the new D Variant, and is significantly safer.

Because it was working so well, the vaccine manufacturers stood a good chance of losing their Emergency Use Authorization, since that's a condition of their Authorization. The CDC holds the patents for the vaccines, and in a short time, stood to lose trillions in profit. Between money, and pressure on Washington by the CDC, it was decided that HHS (Health & Human Services) would confiscate, and take total control of the distribution of the antibody treatments, severely cutting back on distribution. In other words, they are now doling it out sparsely. Follow the money trail, and it will reveal what's going on.

Here's the rub. MOST people that catch covid do NOT die, or even require hospitalization. It's not an automatic death sentence. I know how they're making the numbers appear, but they're only showing the numbers that back their narrative. Are they showing the numbers of those that survived it, and have immunity? No. Do they have those numbers? Yes. Do they know those that have survived have immunity? Yes, they do. The CDC admits it. What they won't admit is how much immunity, and the duration of the immunity, that they know of, to date.

For the record, the covid test itself, is in a Class 1 recall, and will be replaced in Dec., due to the high inaccuracy rate. It's less than 45% accurate, giving positive results when it should not, and no covid is present. On the other hand, it gives some false negatives too. This means, the figures being provided as positive cases, are highly inaccurate.

Israel has one of the highest vaccinated populations on the planet. They were going to lead the charge, and because of it, were awarded manufacturing contracts by Pfizer, and Moderna, generating lots of money to Israel for these manufacturing contracts. Guess what? They have recently discovered that being fully vaccinated is not helping their population combat covid, and it's being suggested that early research is showing that it might be making things worse.

The point is, it's not lawful to take away everyone's freedom, due to faulty data, because of covid.

Last edited:
We are supposed to get in the lower 40s tonight and then warm back up to the upper 80s by Monday before returning to more seasonable temperatures.

With the fireplace going it means a return to hand made bread over bread machine bread that I make over the summer months. I have to admit that there is just something about the Amish sweet white bread that is worth the effort and wait.

I say fireplace because I set my bread to rise on a stool set about two feet away from the fireplace. Takes it about half the time to rise.

@CSolis, your chicks are adorable. Why am I not surprised that you have a little escapee running around the bathroom? Just a matter of time before she is sleeping on top of Gator.

Congrats on the successful hatch.
We should be able to use the fireplace in November here.

how many of you have bought eggs on line? I've looking at doing that I know it's a gamble, I'm looking at cost. Price per egg I guess would depend on the breed,
I have mail ordered many eggs.

Like the others, hatching is all over the map.

I have ordered multiple times from a guy that packs his eggs in egg cartons, and I get pretty good hatch rates. Pretty good = 50% or better.

For shipped eggs, as long as I get a breeding pair I am happy. Then I breed and hatch my own eggs as much as I want.

All I have to say about vaccines is what my four nurses in my family have to say. I have 3 daughters and one grandson that are nurses. They're telling us that the ones dieing are the unvaccinated. Younger now too. Last year they were seeing more old folks, mostly from nursing homes passing. Now, it's people in their 40's, some in their 30's. I don't need to listen to news. The kids come home with sad enough. We've been having up to 21 a day passing in this .. county.. in that age group. Finally down to 8 to 10 the last week. That's a lot gone. So sad. One that passed, is in my family. A cousin. Now, I have a daughter and a son that have it. Neither one got vaccinated. I'm praying hard for them. The son is pretty sick. 😔

I am so sorry your family is fighting this horrible virus, Cynthia and I hope that your son and daughter enjoy a speedy and quick recovery. Prayers sent.

Getting or not getting vaccinated is a deeply personal decision as is waiting to take the vaccine. I sincerely believe that if you choose to wait or not get the vaccine, you need to be willing to protect both yourself and others by masking and avoiding indoor events along and or with social distancing.

Vaccinated or unvaccinated, masking does not bother me. I only go indoors off our property to go to the doctors. No shopping. Groceries are picked up or mailed to the house. Pharmacy trips are through their drive through. One of the first things we were taught in Nurses training was how to prevent the spread of contagion.

I wish if the networks wanted to do something constructive, they would shut their pie holes and quit finger pointing, and air a 30 minute public service program about how easily contagion spreads and how to stop it in its tracks.

Now that would be something that would really help people.

I am so sorry your family is fighting this horrible virus, Cynthia and I hope that your son and daughter enjoy a speedy and quick recovery. Prayers sent.

Getting or not getting vaccinated is a deeply personal decision as is waiting to take the vaccine. I sincerely believe that if you choose to wait or not get the vaccine, you need to be willing to protect both yourself and others by masking and avoiding indoor events along and or with social distancing.

Vaccinated or unvaccinated, masking does not bother me. I only go indoors off our property to go to the doctors. No shopping. Groceries are picked up or mailed to the house. Pharmacy trips are through their drive through. One of the first things we were taught in Nurses training was how to prevent the spread of contagion.

I wish if the networks wanted to do something constructive, they would shut their pie holes and quit finger pointing, and air a 30 minute public service program about how easily contagion spreads and how to stop it in its tracks.

Now that would be something that would really help people.
Last year, me and the kids living with me now, decided that from now on even if we get a cold, well wear a mask if we need to go out. Only if we need to go out...kids work, they said they'll wear a mask if sick even if this covid ever breaks. Kind of doubt it though. Viruses are hard to stop.

Back
Top Bottom