The Olive-Egger thread!

Has anyone ever tried crossing a splash marans and a Wheaton ameraucana ?,what color would that produce ?Wheaton x splash ?
Thanks for any help you can give :)

That's cool ,so all blue chicks would the females have alot of red leakage?
How could I get some pure Wheatons,from that cross?
And how about a redsexlink x splash marans ?

That's cool ,so all blue chicks would the females have alot of red leakage?
How could I get some pure Wheatons,from that cross?
And how about a redsexlink x splash marans ?

Pullets probably wouldn't have as much leakage as cockerels. It will probably vary by individual. Some may have very little and some may have a lot.

You wouldn't be able to get any pure Wheatens from Splash X Wheaten. Splash is really just Black diluted by two copies of the Blue gene, and Black tends to be very dominant, hence birds which are mostly diluted (Splash) black with small amounts of leakage. However, all offspring would be split for Extended Black and Wheaten pattern genes. So if you breed the offspring back to the Wheaten parent you would get 50% Wheaten patterned offspring (as well as 50% that will look like the birds from the original cross, so generally solid with a little leakage). The Wheaten might be a little "messy" but it should look generally Wheaten. This cross would also result in both Black and Blue offspring, so you would get Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Black (with leakage), and Blue (with leakage) all from a second-gen cross.

RSL X Splash should give similar results. 100% Blue offspring with red leakage of varying amounts.

Pullets probably wouldn't have as much leakage as cockerels. It will probably vary by individual. Some may have very little and some may have a lot.

You wouldn't be able to get any pure Wheatens from Splash X Wheaten. Splash is really just Black diluted by two copies of the Blue gene, and Black tends to be very dominant, hence birds which are mostly diluted (Splash) black with small amounts of leakage. However, all offspring would be split for Extended Black and Wheaten pattern genes. So if you breed the offspring back to the Wheaten parent you would get 50% Wheaten patterned offspring (as well as 50% that will look like the birds from the original cross, so generally solid with a little leakage). The Wheaten might be a little "messy" but it should look generally Wheaten. This cross would also result in both Black and Blue offspring, so you would get Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Black (with leakage), and Blue (with leakage) all from a second-gen cross.

RSL X Splash should give similar results. 100% Blue offspring with red leakage of varying amounts.

Interesting ,well hopefully I get to breed them ,I only have two Wheaton ameraucas so hopefully I will get pullets to breed :) if I breed the offspring will i get Wheaton's ?

Interesting ,well hopefully I get to breed them ,I only have two Wheaton ameraucas so hopefully I will get pullets to breed :) if I breed the offspring will i get Wheaton's ?

Yes.

If you breed the offspring back to the Wheaten parent you would get 50% Wheaten patterned offspring (as well as 50% that will look like the birds from the original cross, so generally solid with a little leakage). The Wheaten might be a little "messy" but it should look generally Wheaten. This cross would also result in both Black and Blue offspring, so you would get Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Black (with leakage), and Blue (with leakage) all from a second-gen cross.

This is my 4 week old Olive Egger Roo (the black chick)... This awkward phase is so unattractive. LOL!

His feathers are coming in solid black, does this mean he will likely be black as an adult? I've never had an olive egger before. (He came from an Easter egger roo over olive egger and black copper marans hen.)

This is my 4 week old Olive Egger Roo (the black chick)... This awkward phase is so unattractive. LOL! His feathers are coming in solid black, does this mean he will likely be black as an adult? I've never had an olive egger before. (He came from an Easter egger roo over olive egger and black copper marans hen.)
I can't say for sure but I don't think so. The black copper maran roosters hatch black but as they grow become quite colorful. Its probably the same 7 less it takes after the ameracauna.

I don't think I've ever had a roo besides anything barred that has stayed the same color as their first feathers! Love seeing how they feather out.

Back
Top Bottom