The Olive-Egger thread!

Thank you for solving my mystery. Recently retired and new to this. Have been reading this thread for weeks hoping for a pic that looked like mine.
1f633.png
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f414.png
it is addictive no doubt but you will find many one here to help
with all types of questions or as simple as knowing something from old school
I grew up on a farm but out chickens where very different

My first Olive Eggers, different Marans, BCM, Blue, Black, Splash and Cream Legbar. I don't see many pullets in this bunch. Poor Mama..... this is how they go to sleep every night!
smile.png

My first Olive Eggers, different Marans, BCM, Blue, Black, Splash and Cream Legbar. I don't see many pullets in this bunch. Poor Mama..... this is how they go to sleep every night! :)
Congratulations! How can you tell pullets already? I just hatched green and blue eggs (EE hen and Cream legbar hen) with Black Copper Marans over them. I thought the CL would give me sexlinks...if that's true, I have all girls- no head spots! I also have blue chicks. Anyone with experience here with CL hen and BCM roo?

Last edited:
Congratulations! How can you tell pullets already? I just hatched green and blue eggs (EE hen and Cream legbar hen) with Black Copper Marans over them. I thought the CL would give me sexlinks...if that's true, I have all girls- no head spots! I also have blue chicks. Anyone with experience here with CL hen and BCM roo?

I did something not quite like you but similar so maybe the answers are similar. How old are your babies? I hatched chicks, Ameraucana over California greys which are barred to get sex links and blue egg layers. Like you I was looking for head spots and all the babies were black. Yippee, I thought. All girls. But no, four of the babies out of ten started developing barring as their feathers came in You could see it on the wings by two weeks old and definitely by three weeks. The four boys are barred and the six girls are black so I would assume it is sex linked, and I could tell by two weeks, but none of the boys had the head spots which I thought they would.
When I hatched pure bred cream legbars the boys had head spots immediately.
Previously with other breeds the ones which were going to be barred had head spots from the get go. Wish someone could explain this.

Quote:
I will go to the CL hybrid thread and find the post that explained how it works. All of my chicks look like Cuckoo Marans but I was told if it had been Marans Roo over CL hens I would have sex linked.

I found the post, it reads that if the hen is barred the chicks will be sex linked. So the variation in color is sex linked? Every chick I got had a head spot.... but I didn't get eggs from a barred hen.

Last edited:
If you put a "solid" or non-barred rooster over a barred hen, the chicks will be sex linked.
The roosters will be black with a white dot on their heads at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom