The Olive-Egger thread!

Salmon Favorelle Roo -

Here are my hens what kind of olive egg options do I have here?

Buff Orps
Bl Australorps
Americanas
Cuckoo maran
Barnvelder
White Rock
Light Brahma
Buff Brahma
frow.gif

Quote:
Salmon Faverolles lay light brown eggs . . . So, you won't get Olive Eggs out of any of those choices. However, if your "Americanas" (Actually they're mutts called Easter Eggers) and Cuckoo Marans could pair up, you'd make Olive Eggers.
smile.png
But, from the sounds of it, you only have the Faverolle rooster, so you'll just make pale green eggs.

you could cross your Salmon Faverolle rooster to a cuckoo marans (or Barnvelder) hen and then cross a rooster from that cross to an ameraucana

Last edited:
In case anyone's interested, my Olive Eggers have started laying again and I should have a dozen of the very, very dark olive eggs that could go out Monday or Tuesday. These eggs are so dark green they look brown under some lighting. I don't want to list an auction but if someone wants them they are $35 (including shipping). The birds are freeranging now so any roo could be the daddy but my newest generation's eggs were getting so dark by breeding them back to BCM roos that I'm letting them out for the winter and then will pen them up with fellow Olive Egger roos this Spring to see what they produce.

I am brand new to olive eggers and have a question. What do you think about Black Copper Marans crossed with a Lavender Ameraucana Rooster. Will this produce a dark green egg?

I am just excited about the offspring because I just love both breeds of bird the Ameraucanas and the Marans...Coloring should be interesting as well as the eggs.

Any information will be helpful

Thanks
lol.png

You offspring would be black, but split to Lav and you could cross them to make some interesting chicks. The egg color on the Lav Amers isnt as blue as say the BBS, but you
should get some shade of green. It all depends on how dark your Marans is, too, the shade of olive. Deff worth doing~~

Quote:

I have hatched out eggs from my Black Copper and BLue Copper Marans hens in with my Lavender Ameraucana roosters. I have gotten a few blue chicks and the rest are black. So, far all of my pullets don't have any copper on them. The cockerels I hatched out some have copper and some don't. I few have feathered feet. I only had one with a single comb. The rest have the pea comb. All have muffs. My pullets should start laying anytime. I can't wait to see what color the eggs are.

Quote:
What kind of birds are the possible daddies, Monique?

Could be anything - lots of BCMs and Welsummers running around along with a roo of just about every other breed. But since these are my darkest olive green eggs, the birds will carry that gene and hopefully mix with some other colors as well. I really need to lighten the color up. Some of my newest pullets are laying a dark cholcolate egg that would rival the best of the best of BCMs so I know I've got to stop breeding them back to pure BCM roos.

Back
Top Bottom