The Olive-Egger thread!

I have two Olive eggers. One just started laying! The eggs are not that dark. Can I breed her back to a BCM roo and get a darker olive egger?

Now for the tricky question... My BCM roo is her father... Is that OK in the chicken world?...
hu.gif

Quote:
Yes and yes.

In fact, I can't wait to get my second generation Olive Eggers going. . . Oh man will those eggs be DARK.
love.gif

50801_joys_black_java_eggs_012.jpg

this boy is half BCM and half Blue Am...and the hens are awesome from this hatch...but, this beautiful roo boy will have to go...geeze he is one of my favs of all the roos I have.....................
P.S. this is a picture of the boy at 5 months old.

Last edited:
I have a Rex Sex Link Hen that i got from tractor supply store last spring. She is a deep red color with yellow feet and a short single comb. The base of each feather is bright white and her wing feathers are white. She lays some of the bigest darkest red brown eggs i have ever seen.
A few weeks ago i purchased some 6 week old Black Americauns chicks and at least 2 of them are going to be roosters. I live in a fairly close neighborhood on a 1/2 acher lot. I never considered keeping a rooster but!!!! it occured to me today that if i can get some fertal eggs from the Black ameracuna rooster and this Red sex link hen i might get some Easter egger hens that lay olive green eggs!
Any one have any experience with this and what color might these chick and adults be? Posted this in another post but still looking for input.

Quote:
Since the "brown" side of the parent is not an actual dark layer but instead just a darker than brown layer, I'm sure you'll get an Olive hue to the egg, but I doubt it will be like a lot of the eggs posted here. It will make an Easter Egger with a nice green egg, verging on the (probably pale) olive side.
smile.png

The chicks themselves will be solid white or black with red leakage.

Last edited:
So what are the chances that a Black Australorp rooster and an EE hen would have offspring that lay green eggs? Is it possible or would it just be wishful thinking?

Quote:
Depends on the Easter Egger. If she already lays green eggs, you're likely to get brown egg layers. If she lays blue eggs, then yes, you'll get green egg layers. I myself don't have green egg layers, so I just made my own EE's from tufted Araucana x New Hampshire. Should make for some very nicely colored green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom