The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:The pictured hen doesn't have any Black Copper in her though; If she did, she'd be mostly to purely black in color.

What kind of Maran was used?

I have several FBCMxBlack Am and then some B/B/S Olive Eggers. I can't wait to see what color of egg they lay! [​IMG]

~ Aspen​

None I believe. I think she's the product of a Welsummer and Ameraucanas. Right Amy?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:What kind of Maran was used?

I have several FBCMxBlack Am and then some B/B/S Olive Eggers. I can't wait to see what color of egg they lay! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

None I believe. I think she's the product of a Welsummer and Ameraucanas. Right Amy?

I'm going to have to get some of the crosses, or the breeds that make the crosses and get me some gorgeous OE's like enggass. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Welsummer would be the most reasonable, seeing as the pictured hen has black and gold tickling in her neck. (the duckwing showing through) - Same is this Olive Egger, a Wheaten x Duckwing had. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:None I believe. I think she's the product of a Welsummer and Ameraucanas. Right Amy?

I'm going to have to get some of the crosses, or the breeds that make the crosses and get me some gorgeous OE's like enggass. [​IMG]

~ Aspen​

She was BW ameraucana over welsummer x wheaten ameraucana or EE. She is very "salmon" looking though- so I can see where you might think wheaten marans. The OEs used lay a lighter speckled olive egg.

And apparently the BYC store didn't get my email about upgrading because I can't upload any more pics.....[​IMG]

Yep- you're right Illia. The moms look just like wellies with beards. Exact same partridge pattern. It made them and babies really easy to sex early on.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I'm going to have to get some of the crosses, or the breeds that make the crosses and get me some gorgeous OE's like enggass. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

She was BW ameraucana over welsummer x wheaten ameraucana or EE. She is very "salmon" looking though- so I can see where you might think wheaten marans. The OEs used lay a lighter speckled olive egg.

And apparently the BYC store didn't get my email about upgrading because I can't upload any more pics.....[​IMG]

Yep- you're right Illia. The moms look just like wellies with beards. Exact same partridge pattern. It made them and babies really easy to sex early on.

Thank you for the info. [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

6. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:That's kinda the same thing I'm trying except using splash Maran, hoping for some blue [​IMG]

7. WVCHICKEN

WVCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Huntington
    Wanted to show this egg. One of our Oliver Egg/Blue Wheaten Ameracauna laid it the other day..SO cool.. has anyone seen this before or heard of it happening before?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Omigosh, can you imagine a carton full of those cool-looking eggs? Awesome!

9. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Wow beautiful egg!!! I know Wynette use to have an OE hen that laid some half and half looking eggs occasionally, so fun!!

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Bingo, Wynette once had a couple really neat ones like that! Love em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by