The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Cyn, I think they're quite cute, too. I'm especially fond of lil' poofy faces. [​IMG]

Right now my background is Diamond Jubilee Orp hen (my dream chickens...) but that little booger might just replace it!

2. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    [​IMG]

is that egg on the top right considered an "olive" egg?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A pale olive, I guess. I'd consider it a good green.

To each their own on what an Olive Egger is though. Many people think Easter Eggers would be considered Olive Eggers (since they're brown x blue, or since they lay greener eggs) however to me it needs to be DARK brown x blue, and thus, the offspring have a pretty decent deep olive color.

Here's a chart I posted a while back that I made that sort of explains what I mean -

[​IMG]

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Cute chart Illia. [​IMG]

5. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    this is all very confusing... I bought them at TSC as "ameraucaunas" (which I realize now means easter egger) but out of the four laying each one lays a different color! *pokes picture* and I've read they don't lay pink but that sure looks pinkish to me.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Easter Eggers naturally lay different colored eggs. They're mutts that have a colored egg laying parent. Some do lay brown (some people call it pink) eggs.

Ameraucanas, the real ones, only lay blue eggs (though some do lay a greenish color)

Then there's the OLIVE [​IMG] Egger who's also a mutt like the Easter Egger but a special kind of mutt.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Great chart, Illia! So many people are very visual, like me and this will really help newbies to "get it".[​IMG]

I love all the colors I pull out of the nests from my chickens. I am so happy to gather eggs every day and when my new pullets start laying the excitement starts all over again!
    Pinks can come from my Rocks, I haven't had an EE to lay anything other than brown or green, maybe a pale blue. I have always been hoping for the Golden Egg. But alas, my girls won't give me one.[​IMG]

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I have some of those! I love to crack them open because they are blue inside and its such a pretty combination when you can see both sides. [​IMG]

Need a marans roo to make some darker olives? Hint hint.

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:That chart is actually VERY helpful to most people! Good job!

10. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Most often TSC or other feed stores sell hatchery birds. The exception is when private breeders sell their chicks through feed stores, but that would vary by location. You most likely bought EE's (sold as "americanas".) Pink is pink. That sure is a pink egg I'm looking at...and if it came from your Easter Eggers that is one color lots of EE fans seek! Also, consider yourself lucky for your green SPECKLED egg! I love the speckles and I'm still waiting for my Wellie OE's to lay some like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by