The Olive-Egger thread!

Quote:
Cyn, I think they're quite cute, too. I'm especially fond of lil' poofy faces.
love.gif

Right now my background is Diamond Jubilee Orp hen (my dream chickens...) but that little booger might just replace it!

A pale olive, I guess. I'd consider it a good green.

To each their own on what an Olive Egger is though. Many people think Easter Eggers would be considered Olive Eggers (since they're brown x blue, or since they lay greener eggs) however to me it needs to be DARK brown x blue, and thus, the offspring have a pretty decent deep olive color.

Here's a chart I posted a while back that I made that sort of explains what I mean -

oechart.jpg

this is all very confusing... I bought them at TSC as "ameraucaunas" (which I realize now means easter egger) but out of the four laying each one lays a different color! *pokes picture* and I've read they don't lay pink but that sure looks pinkish to me.

Quote:
Easter Eggers naturally lay different colored eggs. They're mutts that have a colored egg laying parent. Some do lay brown (some people call it pink) eggs.

Ameraucanas, the real ones, only lay blue eggs (though some do lay a greenish color)

Then there's the OLIVE
wink.png
Egger who's also a mutt like the Easter Egger but a special kind of mutt.

Great chart, Illia! So many people are very visual, like me and this will really help newbies to "get it".
thumbsup.gif

I love all the colors I pull out of the nests from my chickens. I am so happy to gather eggs every day and when my new pullets start laying the excitement starts all over again!
Pinks can come from my Rocks, I haven't had an EE to lay anything other than brown or green, maybe a pale blue. I have always been hoping for the Golden Egg. But alas, my girls won't give me one.
sad.png

Quote:
I have some of those! I love to crack them open because they are blue inside and its such a pretty combination when you can see both sides.
big_smile.png

Need a marans roo to make some darker olives? Hint hint.

Quote:
Most often TSC or other feed stores sell hatchery birds. The exception is when private breeders sell their chicks through feed stores, but that would vary by location. You most likely bought EE's (sold as "americanas".) Pink is pink. That sure is a pink egg I'm looking at...and if it came from your Easter Eggers that is one color lots of EE fans seek! Also, consider yourself lucky for your green SPECKLED egg! I love the speckles and I'm still waiting for my Wellie OE's to lay some like that!

Back
Top Bottom