The Olive-Egger thread!

Here are my first five OEs. What do yall think in terms of combs and chance of laying olive eggs? They are BCM roo and EE hens

I was hoping this was a girl. Its comb looks different from the others. Almost like a super skinny straight comb with wide flat area on each side.

Quote:
the O(blue egg shell gene) gene found on Easter Eggers is Closely Linked to the P(pea comb) gene by 4 cm(centi morgan) the closer they are the harder it becomes for those gene(O and P) to segregate independently, meaning if a chick inherits the pea comb from their EE mother or sire they have about 95% chance of getting the Blue egg shell gene also... now I understand that the Cream Creasted Legbar is a single comb bird that lays blue egg too, well their O gene did a cross over at one point in their history(I would say the Chilean birds used by punnett carry that gene) so now their gene is closely linked to their Single comb counter part.

Wow...impressive. How are you able you determine the sex so young?.....I had a really difficult time with sexing my OE chicks. Thanks for all of your knowledgable input!

Last edited:
Quote: I thought chicken pickin was talking about how you know that all the other chicks are Male..??
smile.png

Not meaning to hijack the thread...but... I have 8 Wel. EE. BCM crosses that are 21 weeks old and guess what?? No eggs yet. Just was wondering if this was normal for these breeds (even tho they are not pure breeds). Also our days are getting shorter and I know production goes down now anyway. Could this be a factor? I am just so looking forward to pretty eggs. Thank you for any insight into my egglessness.

Oh BTW did I mention that I have a roo from the same hatch that does not crow ever at all nor does he exercise his husbandly rights?

Last edited:
Not meaning to hijack the thread...but... I have 8 Wel. EE. BCM crosses that are 21 weeks old and guess what?? No eggs yet. Just was wondering if this was normal for these breeds (even tho they are not pure breeds). Also our days are getting shorter and I know production goes down now anyway. Could this be a factor? I am just so looking forward to pretty eggs. Thank you for any insight into my egglessness.

Oh BTW did I mention that I have a roo from the same hatch that does not crow ever at all nor does he exercise his husbandly rights?

I am having the same thing with mine. Although my roos are crowing and trying to do their part the girls are not too with it yet. Mine were hatched in April. One of the breeders from the Ameraucana thread said that they can be a little slow to mature but then they can lay jumbo eggs and lay well even in their 5th year. I don't know about Marans for sure but they are not known for an early development. I am going to add light and hope that they will start to lay in another couple of weeks.

It can take some time. Even another month or more. 21 weeks is on the early start side for most chicken breeds(with the exception of hybrid egg layers) I think average is probably more near 24-26weeks but it could be longer. I have 2 OEs BCM x EE, one is almost 20weeks old her comb is very small and pale pink I don't expect her to lay for quite some time. The other OE is 13weeks ond and her comb is larger and a hot pink I have a feeling she will be a early starter.

Of course the colder darker weather could be a factor also and could delay egg laying for even longer. Its hard to say since all chickens are different. Sorry this answer couldn't help much.

And for the rooster 21 weeks is still young he may not crow for another month or more and mating may take some time too since the pullets are fully mature yet.

Back
Top Bottom