The Olive-Egger thread!

The olive eggers from Meyer use several colors of Marans, Blue or Wheaton Americauna and Cream Legbars. I have now seen 4 completely different young ones from there.

The 2 I have, 1 was a legbar and Black copper mix and I'm sure my second one was a blue americana to a blue copper. I've also seen the legbar barring a blue olive egger from them and a black over wheaton amer.

Turn out one of mine is a roo, and the other a pullet at this age I was able to tell. I'll probably keep them for breeding and see what shades I can get from the next gen.

This one shows the legbar crest and the cooper coming in on the neck.

The olive eggers from Meyer use several colors of Marans, Blue or Wheaton Americauna and Cream Legbars. I have now seen 4 completely different young ones from there. The 2 I have, 1 was a legbar and Black copper mix and I'm sure my second one was a blue americana to a blue copper. I've also seen the legbar barring a blue olive egger from them and a black over wheaton amer. Turn out one of mine is a roo, and the other a pullet at this age I was able to tell. I'll probably keep them for breeding and see what shades I can get from the next gen. This one shows the legbar crest and the cooper coming in on the neck.
Very pretty with that crest

Very pretty! I still can't pick out which one is mine...
hit.gif

The olive eggers from Meyer use several colors of Marans, Blue or Wheaton Americauna and Cream Legbars. I have now seen 4 completely different young ones from there. The 2 I have, 1 was a legbar and Black copper mix and I'm sure my second one was a blue americana to a blue copper. I've also seen the legbar barring a blue olive egger from them and a black over wheaton amer. Turn out one of mine is a roo, and the other a pullet at this age I was able to tell. I'll probably keep them for breeding and see what shades I can get from the next gen. This one shows the legbar crest and the cooper coming in on the neck.
Oh I love that feather color! What did it look like as a chick?

The olive eggers from Meyer use several colors of Marans, Blue or Wheaton Americauna and Cream Legbars. I have now seen 4 completely different young ones from there.

The 2 I have, 1 was a legbar and Black copper mix and I'm sure my second one was a blue americana to a blue copper. I've also seen the legbar barring a blue olive egger from them and a black over wheaton amer.

Turn out one of mine is a roo, and the other a pullet at this age I was able to tell. I'll probably keep them for breeding and see what shades I can get from the next gen.

This one shows the legbar crest and the cooper coming in on the neck.
That explains how they can guarantee Olive colored eggs then. The CL that they use must have double blue genes for egg shell color.

Only one has a crest that we have. I've been trying to see pictures of the ones I sent to my cousin, but she's procrastinating and not sending them to me.
Do you have pictures of them right now?

Not all Olive eggers will have crests from them. There is like a 1 in 10 chance that you got a legbar mix and that gene shows. My roo has the color and barring of the CL but no crest. He does have the CL comb though for sure. It has the feathered legs from the Maran as well. He's a pretty boy!

Only one has a crest that we have. I've been trying to see pictures of the ones I sent to my cousin, but she's procrastinating and not sending them to me.

Do you have pictures of them right now?

Not all Olive eggers will have crests from them. There is like a 1 in 10 chance that you got a legbar mix and that gene shows. My roo has the color and barring of the CL but no crest. He does have the CL comb though for sure. It has the feathered legs from the Maran as well. He's a pretty boy!

That is a good point. CLs X Marans will have a straight comb but still have the blue egg shell gene.

You would have to wait until the comb grows though.

Back
Top Bottom