The Olive-Egger thread!

My one solo surviving olive egger pullet will be 18 weeks on Saturday. Getting closer to getting an egg! It seems like I've been waiting forever.

(The "olive" hen in my Avatar ended up laying brown eggs. We still love her though.)

Aargh! I just wrote this super long comment about how Wendy, my OO *finallly* laid her first egg yesterday. She was af least 8 months old! I had to be extremely patient. I found tbe first one just sitting in the yard but the second two were laid in the henhouse. She is 1/2 BCM and 1/2 Easter Egger. Here are some of her eggs so far, plus a photo of Wendy herself

Her egga lok more blue than green in these pix but they're definitely a minty green - not khaki but more pastel green

Last edited:
Good news: 3/4 of my WM X EE eggs are showing development! I wasn't very hopeful that anything would happen, but it looks like I may have some olive eggers soon, if all goes well.
big_smile.png

Set 9 'Olive eggs' to incubate yesterday...and 9 Welsumers.

The OE (Henny) was a casual and unquantified cross between what we think was an amberlink and one of several EE roos. I hatched her out last spring and she is a prolific layer of a fairly nice what I call an 'almost olive' eggs. We all know that the term 'olive' is highly subjective, thus my explanation

Anyway, I was excited about crossing Henny with my Welsummer cockerel..... but a friend hatched out one of Henny's pullet eggs with a broody last fall resulting in one pullet (Goldie) and the Goldie's eggs are more blue than the darker green I was hoping to see....way bluer than Henny's eggs, I don't have a good pic of them yet.

So 6-7 months from now I will hopefully know more about what color egg this cross may produce....chickens take patience, do they not?

So 6-7 months from now I will hopefully know more about what color egg this cross may produce....chickens take patience, do they not?
MUCH less patience than other classes of livestock. If you have performance horses, you have to raise them up for 5-6 years (not 6-18 months) and test them in their sport, breed, wait 11 months for gestation (not 3 weeks incubation), then wait 5 years to prove out the offspring. Chickens are looking like almost instant gratification when compared this way!

Last edited:
Set 9 'Olive eggs' to incubate yesterday...and 9 Welsumers.

The OE (Henny) was a casual and unquantified cross between what we think was an amberlink and one of several EE roos. I hatched her out last spring and she is a prolific layer of a fairly nice what I call an 'almost olive' eggs. We all know that the term 'olive' is highly subjective, thus my explanation...

Is there any negative results with crossing a sex-link to another breed?

Quote: I don't think so...a sexlink is just 2 particular breeds of chicken crossed so the chicks gender is identifiable by coloring at hatch.
There are multiple breeds that this works with, but I can't cite them off the top of my head.

Crossing a sexlinked bird with another breed will not get you sexlinked chicks tho.

Back
Top Bottom