The Olive-Egger thread!

Ok... So does a pea comb on an EE mean a higher chance of blue eggs? Also... Can EEs develop muffs/beards as they grow older!?
The beard/muffs will become more prominent but if they don't have any at all, they will not have any in my experience.

Pea comb and blue egg chances are only linked if they were linked in the parent stock - and that is determined by breeding. If you breed a pea comb chicken to a straight comb non blue egg chicken and the resulting F1 stock has pea combs and lays blue eggs that determines that the pea comb and the blue shell gene was linked in the parent EE. The problem with EE or any other chicken really is that you don't always know how well they were selected in their respective breeding programs.

I have 6 OE chicks 1 wk old that are wheaten/blue wheaten and Splash Ameraucana over splash Maran. I ended up with 3 whitish chicks and 3 grayish chicks. Here is my question, would the feathering rule work with these chicks? 2 gray ones have long wing feathers and a are sprouting a tail and the rest have very short blunt wings with no sign of a tail. If I were to go by the feathering guideline that would mean 2 pullets and 4 cockerels! Yikes!

I'm looking to pick out some olive egger chicks from a lady that has lots of different breeds. Unfortunately she doesn't separate them all out. Are all olive egger chicks dark in color? For example, would a safer bet be to pick out a blackish chick with muffs? In the end, it won't be the end of the world if I don't get one, but I'd love to increase my chances!

I'm looking to pick out some olive egger chicks from a lady that has lots of different breeds. Unfortunately she doesn't separate them all out. Are all olive egger chicks dark in color? For example, would a safer bet be to pick out a blackish chick with muffs? In the end, it won't be the end of the world if I don't get one, but I'd love to increase my chances!

What breeds does she have together?

I bought some F2 OEs from a local lady I asked her what she used for the OE genetics, she said Ameraucanas and Marans. Two started developing crests around a couple weeks old, and I'm pretty certain these guys are not OEs, but they are still cute all the same. I'm trying to figure out what they are mixed with. I suspect Silkie. They all have black (or near black) legs and combs, with feathered shanks. One is the color of a blue copper maran. Any clue what color eggs I should expect? They obviously aren't the OEs I bought.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting on here.

Back
Top Bottom