The Olive-Egger thread!

I picked her out. There is a breeder close by. That's why I know what cross she is. They breed those too. :D
That is awesome! :) She is super cute. How old are your chickens? Mine just made 20 weeks and they aren't laying yet. I only have one OE and 1 EE I'm excited to see what they lay. I'd be happy with anything other than brown because I already have 10 brown egg layers

Well actually I should say I'd be happy with any shade of blue or green. I don't want brown or cream because I already have a bunch

That is awesome! :) She is super cute. How old are your chickens? Mine just made 20 weeks and they aren't laying yet. I only have one OE and 1 EE I'm excited to see what they lay. I'd be happy with anything other than brown because I already have 10 brown egg layers

My OE and her little bestie are about 30 weeks. I also have 28 week old Swedish Flower Chickens. (Cream eggs) Silver Bantam Cochin (8 months brown egg) Black Copper Marans (two - 1yr Grade 4 eggs Dark brown with speckles) Wheaten Ameraucana (two- 1yr blue egg and a blue green egg) Mixed breed girl (1yr pinkish egg) Brown Leghorn (two- 5+yrs white eggs)

Here our 2018 plan to add OE to our hen house and more......
We have 2 fbcm
20171113_182340.jpg

Say over 2 Splash Ameraucana
splash Ameraucana.jpg

This should give us blue chickens? that lay olive eggs

then 2 MPC partridge olive egger hen
olive egger.jpg
that lay this colored eggs
olive egg.jpg

with one of these
roo1.jpg

Welsummer roos
would this then be F2? And would I still get a cream legbar looking chicken?

I could throw 2 of these hens in the mix with the marans for blue/black colored OE?
bear Ameraucana.jpg

anything planned look wrong? suggestions?

Thanks Scott

would this then be F2? And would I still get a cream legbar looking chicken?

I could throw 2 of these hens in the mix with the marans for blue/black colored OE?
Lots of opinions on the F1, F2, BC1, BC2 labeling, but with a cross hen BC1 would fit IMO.
Best to mark/band your birds and keep a list, careful sequestered pairings in a timely fashion to ensure the sire(s) is who you think he is, separation of eggs at lockdown in bator then immediate banding between bator and brooder...if you really want to keep track.

Hard to say what offspring will look like. There used to be some pretty good plumage genetics folks here on this thread, but it's been a good long while.

You've got some great stock to start with.....am a bit envious.
I have used a Wellie cock over blue laying EE with fair results, given the 50% using EE. Now have a BCM cock and couple CCL, as well as couple EE and OE for 2018.
Hardest part is sectioning the bator to track pairings as I do only one hatch per year....might do 2 this nest round.

Aart why do people say hatch 1 clutch a year? I say this on the inbreeding chicken info on the marans site. well they shw one a year till the 4th year.

Scott
I don't know why from a breeders point of view.
I only hatch one batch a year because I only have limited space for so many birds,
so I only hatch out enough to get a some fresh layers, culling(sell, give away, slaughter) all extra cockerels and oldest hens. Am just playing with the OE aspect.

What does the offspring of a French Black Copper Marans roo over a Cream Crested Legbar look like.
  • Sex-Link? (yes?)
  • Crested?
  • Feather-footed?
  • Color?

Back
Top Bottom