The Olive-Egger thread!

Aart, in your opinion, if an "OE" lays brown eggs, is it an EE? This is where I found debate.
Pretty much, yeah.
I first tried to make OE's by crossing a Welsummer cock over blue laying EE hens.
Got some olives, some nice dark green(olive), and some browns.
Because those blue laying EE's didn't carry 2 blue shell genes.

When I used a BCM cock over Cream Legbar hens they were all olive...and sexlinked to boot.

Sex linked chicks would be nice. Even though most of the broody raised chicks that have hatched here are similar in color, I somehow can't seem to tell what they are until it's completely obvious :rolleyes:

Well, I guess there are differing opinions about the OE and EE thing. I suppose you can call an OE, that doesn't lay O-E's ( :gig) "the little olive egger that couldn't".

Wondering if a wyandotte cock over a ee would make for olive eggs? Maybe not a dark enough brown.

Last edited:
Sex linked chicks would be nice. Even though most of the broody raised chicks that have hatched here are similar in color, I somehow can't seem to tell what they are until it's completely obvious
Only certain crosses make sexlinked chicks, I don't know that much about it.
But do know the BCM is 'solid' and the CLB are 'barred' and it's quite apparent once chicks dry which is which gender. White spot on head are males.....and the females have darker beaks, legs, combs.

Wondering if a wyandotte cock over a ee would make for olive eggs? Maybe not a dark enough brown.
If EE laid blue eggs, then, yes, maybe, 50-50 chance....no probably not a dark green

Only certain crosses make sexlinked chicks, I don't know that much about it.
But do know the BCM is 'solid' and the CLB are 'barred' and it's quite apparent once chicks dry which is which gender. White spot on head are males.....and the females have darker beaks, legs, combs.

If EE laid blue eggs, then, yes, maybe, 50-50 chance....no probably not a dark green
I'd like to know what my wyandotte/clb's will lay, but have to catch them in the act to find out. Should set up cameras, cuz I don't have a clue who's laying what anyway :rolleyes:

Wish I knew more about the stuff, but have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Lots of combos...

Hi. I bought 2 olive eggers as day old chicks 9 weeks ago. They are from a white Ameraucana and a black copper maran or blue maran.
They are both grey, 1lighter and 1 darker. Will they keep those colors or will it change? I really like that they look slightly different. Thanks. Pics attached

Attachments

• 20200918_134229.jpg
    20200918_134229.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200918_134023.jpg
    20200918_134023.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200910_130849.jpg
    20200910_130849.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200910_130625.jpg
    20200910_130625.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 18
Probably, you'll know by 6 months.

It's hard to get good pics.
The top pic, GLW body with CLB head, cool looking bird!!
Isn't she fun? Her dark siblings crest isn't quite as pronounced, but I was surprised to get two crested!

The cockerel next to the black pullet is another out of that mixed hatch. I think he's GLW x cuckoo marans. I need to get a picture of the GLW x ameraucana (I think). He's very neat!

Back
Top Bottom