The Olive-Egger thread!

Quote:
that delawarexEE is beautiful! Love her
big_smile.png

Only if they pass the O (blue egg) gene onto their kids. It's hard with EE's because you don't know exactly if the bird is O/o or O/O.

I did get my first olive egg today. My blue EE hen laid it. I have no idea of her actuall breed, I just grabbed her out of a bunch because I liked her blue color. I thought I would get a blue or green egg, but I got olive.

47992_sspx0055.jpg

At 4 weeks not only is the comb larger than ever, but you can't miss the wattles he is growing. Then in the second picture you can see the copper color coming in at the back of his neck. It's been obvious since before he was 2 weeks that he is a boy
hmm.png
He even has the feathered legs of his BCM daddy.

Straight combed so wouldn't have made olive eggs anyway.

mrroo2.jpg

mrroo1.jpg

Here is the pea combed blue colored one where you can see the comb well. You guys told me last week it was a roo
sad.png
I still have hope that it might not be
roll.png

msspullet2.jpg

msspullet3.jpg

Straight combed so wouldn't have made olive eggs anyway

Actually it could still carry the gene for the green egg, and bred back to EE's could produce good olive eggs.​

Quote:

Actually it could still carry the gene for the green egg, and bred back to EE's could produce good olive eggs.

my olive-egger has a straight comb
smile.png

The answer to my question may be somewhere in here already, but I just scanned about 30 pages of this thread and haven't found it.

Of the brown-egg layers that do not "paint" their eggs (i.e., not Marans, Wels, Penes, Barnvelders), which breed is the best layer of the darkest brown egg?

My preliminary research (and the egg color chart) seems to indicate that it varies greatly among within breeds; in which case, do you know of any breeders who are breeding lines specifically for a dark brown color?

I have BCM's and Ameracaunas, I'd like to add another brown egg laying breed to see what happens but I don't want to end up with light brown eggs.

I'm guessing it would be a line from one of these: BA, BO, Golden Comet, Red Star, RIR, Cinnamon Queen or Black Giant. Which of these breeds would most CONSISTENTLY lay dark eggs? Or did I miss a breed I should consider?

Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom