The owner of the feed store says that....

I love flock raiser by purina...plus it comes in pelleted form also, so oyu lose and waste ALOT less than with crumbles! And you can find $3 off coupons for it so its like $13.99, which is the same price as del's all purpose all poultry crumbles!

And i used flockraiser for all my bird..day olds to year olds!
and ducks!

Last edited:
Feed company are the onces that did the years of studys.....gave my advise feed whats made for what, those that want to save a few penny, feed what ever you want even ground up skids, corn or rocks they are your chickens. Flock raise is for raising , after they are raised , just paying for more than what they need.

Ok.....so, I have a question (that hopefully hasn't been answered in the 8 pages that I haven't read yet). Those of you who use the for the whole flock stuff and offer calcium for the layers.....Just how do you keep the younger ones from eating it? I mean....do they just KNOW when they are allowed to eat it?......It just doesn't seem any more "safe" than having them all eat layer.......Hope that doesn't sound stupid....but to me it sounds silly to say "they can't have the calcium, but let me put this bowl of calcium out for those who ARE allowed to eat it". Kinda like saying to one kid "you can't have this, but I'm putting it right here because your sibling can" and expecting the one kid not to eat it.
idunno.gif

Somehow they seem to know......once in a while I will see a younger one eating some, but I keep them in seperate pens for several months from my older ones and only put out the calcium when they reach 18 weeks, but after saying that I have to say that right now I have 19 week and 13 week pullets together and shells in a small feeder and curiousity has them taste, but the younger ones just leave it alone. For me it also means that I am not causing my hens that are not laying to consume calcium they do not need. JMHO

someone sayed something about a "creep feeder" but ive personally never heard of. i seperate younger chicks from older chicks but they all get cracked corn. let them free range for about a hour and they will regulate themselves. but i dont think theres a sure fire way to seperate feeds from chickens unless theyre in different coops. I know from personal experience if they want it they WILL get it

If the chicks have their own feed in an area accessible only to them such as a creep feeder,they will prefer to eat where they do not have to compete with the adult birds and the higher protein chick feed is usually much tastier,ask any chicken........Sure the chicks might nibble on adult feed but that won't hurt them !

Back
Top Bottom